1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting off the end of your barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Garry, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garry

Garry Active Member

What is the definition of the phrase "shooting off the end of your barrel".

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using this method?

Thanks in advance to those who choose to reply.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Usually when people use that term, their gun shoots too flat and they raise or build up the comb for a higher POI. It matters not whether they see the barrel or bead as a reference while making the bird/bead/barrel intersect with a moving target to break it.

Hap

3. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I like to set up my gun with about 60/40 poi with stacked beads. Then I move comb up to about so the gun shoots 80/20poi. This means I am seeing a lot of rib between beads. Thus I am shooting off the front bead--end of barrel.
    I blackout my mid bead --I don't want to see it. i think this helps get your head up off the receiver for a better view of the target. I am a one eye shooter and getting my eye high off the receiver is very important to me...SMOKIT

4. dhip

dhip Active Member

Think I done that once.Had mud in the end of barrel.20 gauge,became a ic after that.

Doug H.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Smokit gave a very good explanation.. well to me at least... Basically.. all you see is the end of the barrel.. nothing else exist in your barrel picture... Then there is the relationship of the end of the barrel.. to the target..that becomes your memory bank of picture.. hit... It's a finite relationship.. that's done from the subconcious.. When done correctly.. results are normally very good.. It does require much practice to master it..as no thought is involved..

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

When the target appears I lock on the target with my eyes. When I swing the gun to the target I see the end of the gun as a shadow. As the shadow passes the target I pull the trigger.

In this game the vision needs to be on the target. To see anything else(the bead)clearly means I have to look at it. If I look at it I am taking my eyes off the target. A definite No-No since I can't focus on more than one think at a time. I keep my focus on the target. At least that is the plan.

Bob Lawless

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I believe that "shooting off the end of the barrel" would necessitate seeing space between the beads. Otherwise you would be "shooting down the rib".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting off the end of the barrel

trap shooting off the end of the barrel