1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"Shooting off the end of the barrel" ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Quack Shot, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's either a way of sighting, using the end of the barrel as a reference, or losing the last few inches of the barrel due to a possible obstruction. I'd prefer the former. :)

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

All "shooting off the end of the barrel" means is that some people use the barrel itself as a "reference point" in order to establish lead, etc rather than using the rib/bead. This is done subconsciously, of course, as the conscious focus of a shooter must be on the target, not the barrel or bead. Using an unsingle makes this difficult, if not impossible, since the barrel on an unsingle is well below the line of sight and not readily visible for this kind of "viewpoint". This is the reason that some shooters cannot use an unsingle and use the over/under or top single better. For those who use the bead as the reference point (again, this is a subconscious thing), the unsingle or high rib gun works very well, as it provides a less "cluttered" point of reference for the eye in relation to the target, and allows for more target visibility (being smaller than a barrel).

Jim R

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well I can't tell you what others see or do but I can tell you I shoot a high ribbed unsingle. I don't see the bead or the end of the barrel. I see the end of the rib. I don't see the bead just as when I use my finger to simulate a the end of the gun I don't my finger nail.

The rib, barrel, bead or what have you is only a shadow in my vision as it passes under the target(which is where my total concentration is)I pull the trigger. It works for me as long as I never look at the end of the gun during the shot process.

Bob Lawless

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

How we use our eyes in shotgunning is so confusing to so many people it's mind boggling. Using your peripheral vision (unknown to a lot) is oft times called a sub-conscience act. BL describes it a a "shadow" that appears to him as the two things come together at the shooting point.

Shooting off the barrels end uses the barrel mass to make the connection and it's quicker for some depending on their quality of eye sight. Shotgunning a moving target is the opposite of how we use open fixed rifle sights in making good shots. You never take your eyes away from the target with a shotgun, the bird/bead relationship is actually seen develop through your peripheral vision skills. You use that same skill to avoid a car accident exiting a blind intersection too! To get an Ohio drivers license, you must pass a peripheral vision test! The eyes are glued to a spot in the center of the machine while the examiner selects a blinking light off to either side of that center spot. If you can't spot the off side light, you must have an examination by an optometrist before getting your license!! That is how we use our peripheral vision in shotgunning also. That, whether or not we're totally aware of what's actually taking place! If you can't see the end of the barrel at all shooting in total darkness, you won't hit much at all!!

Hap

5. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I discovered that I shot "off the end of the barrel when I tried shooting a un single for a while. I just couldn't seem to make it work for me.

I didn't know what the problem was for a long time untill I sold it and went back to a top single. I tend to see a "blur at the end of the barrel.

I wish I could use the bead as a reference but my subconscience won't allow me do so. The only time I am conscious of seeing the bead is when shooting night targets and the bradley sight shows up.

Guess it comes from shooting a model 12 for forty years, which I have gone back to.

No hope for me.

ed.

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Ed

Your experience is common to many who try a high rib or unsingle gun. They, like you, just cannot seem to adjust to not having that large barrel for the subconcious mind to process as a reference point in relation to the target, and as a result, shoot far better with a top single, or like you, with something that has a low rib in relation to the barrel.

For many of us, however, the lack of barrel to block vision of the target allows for a better view, and it is the rib and/or bead that gives us that subconscious reference point. I find the high rib of my unsingle, and high rib on the over/under barrel set also, just helps me track the target better, but it is entirely individual.

Both methods work just fine for those who use them. Neither is better than the other.

Jim R

7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I shoot targets off the rib, not barrel. I can shoot a Top Single or Unsingle just the same. It doesn't matter for me. I did start shooting trap with an unsingle. If I had started with a top single, my experience may be different. There has been some good info posted above. PM Phil Kiner and he can enlighten you some more. I had this same question a year ago when I was in a slump.

Matt Woodson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting off the end of the barrel

when to pull the trigger when trap shooting when cant see target at end of barrel