1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting off the barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by k80 mike, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k80 mike

k80 mike TS Member

what is meant by the term krieghoff use in their top single ad shooting off the barrel

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I think they are referring to the shooter using the end of the barrel as his reference to point at the target as opposed to using a rib to point or align the gun with the target.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

It's a meaningless marketing attempt to connect with some kind of terminology that a certain sector of shooters will respond to, that's all.

Note, it's not necessary for the shooter/consumer to actually know what the term means, or even be able to explain it...as long as they respond to it, the ad did its job (cf, the inane old Browning ads about back-bored barrels "helping you smoke more targets," etc.).

I do like the blow-up idea, though...(reminds me of the video of the guy at the indoor range, shooting the front end off his Taurus revolver).

4. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Easystreet yes you are correct---

trap;-4

5. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Thats how I shoot...just as easystreet said..off the end of the barrel. The term has been around as long as I can remember.

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Easy street is, of course correct. More simply stated it is NOT sighting down the rib but instead, lining up the muzzle end of the barrel with the target.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Now this is really shooting off the end of the barrel!! :)

Hap

8. dhip

dhip Active Member

I shot the barrel off a 20ga. when I was young and dumb.It went from a full choke to more than ic.lost about 2 inches off the end.Fell while going across a field,got mud in the end,tried to clean it out by firing it,real lucky I was.

Doug H.

9. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I agree with Easystreet as far as he goes. Some shooters remove the front bead of their gun to prevent bead checking. They still must have something to use as a subconscience sight picture. These people are said to be "shooting off the end of the barrel." Jack

10. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

That's a fantastic Civil War photo (as you might tell, I'm a amateur historian of our bloodiest war). Where did you find it, Hap?

Not trying to hijack the topic, but it's already been answered in the past remarks...

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I hesitated to buy a new TMX when they 1st came out because I heard the rumor that Dan Bonillas (who endorsed the DB81 named after him) would shoot off the barrel especially in bad light. I did get a used TMX and have shot it since 1987 but I have to admit that sometimes I still look right through the bead and high rib as though it was totally transparent and shoot way over the top of the bird. Many shooters who bought a TMX back then traded them off for that very reason. I dunno but I probably would be one of those guys who can't shoot a high rib Unsingle.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Smokechaser, I sent you a PM guy.

Hap

13. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

If you have made sure that your POI and POA are identical, if you keep your head welded to the stock everything else will be come irrelevant and the shot charge will go where you look. Result? Broken target. Just do it and quit picking the fly shit out of the pepper!

14. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I did not see the Kreighoff AD about not shooting off the barrel with a Top Single so I can only speculate on this. Notquite27 wrote: "If you have made sure that your POI and POA are identical, if you keep your head welded to the stock everything else will be come irrelevant and the shot charge will go where you look." this sounds like a pretty good idea for a Sporting Clays gun or maybe even a Bunker gun where you shoot with an almost instinctive style and a conventional rib gives an intuitive sense of pointing at the target. I find that my conventional rib MX-3 is more intuitive to point than the high rib TMX and I think that leads to occasionally shooting off the barrel instead of the rib. The higher POI of the American trap gun has a different feel than Bunker trap where you don't have the time for anything even resembling floating the bird; you must make an intuitive Point with perfect gun fit and let er go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.