1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting off some steam

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kgp912kgp, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

ALLL this talk of Obuckwheat and the DEMZ trying to take our guns have me seeing in my future some sqirrel shooting.

I do have an over abundance of them around and am good killing them out to 30 yards BUUUTTT my question is...

With a 1 1/4oz load of 6's what is the lethal distance that these can be used on these dirt rats?

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I'm sure the squirrels aren't insulted at all!

Keller

3. philk

philk Member

Tree rats, use a .22. Grays are ok to eat, pitch the black ones.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

They ARE taking them...not just trying..its a work in progress

5. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

ROGERCCC,
    These are NOT game animals. These are the nasty ground squirrels in the west. They are more rodent than gamey tree squirrel.

Should have stated this before these are ground squirrels not the nice ones we like to eat in the trees. They cause problems on the ranch roads with their burrowing underground. I do pick them off with 22lr/22mag. But my friends I need to get the shotgun in the field and it IS hard to nail a running target with a 22.

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I was raised with ground squirrels and hunted them as a kid. They are one of the toughest and most difficult to kill critters I have ever hunted. Many is the one that took a full load of bird shot from a full choke 16 ga well centered at 20 yards or less, jumped up in the air and popped back down their hole.
    I don't honestly know the answer to your question but my observations would say less distance than you might expect.

7. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

OH and the B@STARDS eat everything that grows. If it is growing close to the house they come and eat it when I'm not looking. They will climb the fence to perch and see if I'm around and and send in their friends once one sees me they screech to notify the one in the tomatoes/beans that I am outside and he takes off. I can sit inside at the window sill with my gun and pick them off during the ball game all day in the summer and more come up from the field and eat the one I just shot.

"Low of an Opinion" for a game animal??? I would rather have holey tomatoes than a damn rat taking my garden.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The .17HMR is just the ticket for ground squirrels. Shotguns are too short range and really just a waste of ammo that could be put to better use. You don't have to hit them on the run - just track them with the scope and they will stop frequently to look around giving you a nice shot.

Now if you gotta just blow stuff up with your shotgun try rotting tomatoes pitched up in the air - you can make a nice puree with a good hit.

9. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

A friend had some ground squirrels(chipmonks around here), destroy the underhood wiring of his car, then they chewed his rubber brake hoses in two!

I shot one once that was perched at the mouth of his hole with a load of 7 1/2, 3 dram.

It jumped about two feet high, and two feet to the side, then crawled back to the hole as I emptied another one at him.

He still crawled into the hole, but I noticed flies buzzing around the hole a couple days later.

Pretty tough critters, I'll say!

10. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Bvr Tail,

Watch out RogerC may call you a poor excuse of a sportsman for usings 7 1/2's. Heck I want to use 6's!!! Shooting them at 30yards knocks them down dead with out any movement after. Now is the time to get out and get them before gardening season. And I intend to do so...

11. beeper

beeper Member

Squirrels. A rat with a cute costume on!

the beeper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.