1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting next to an Auto

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ThorsDad, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

I apologize in advance as I'm a sporting clays shooter but this website seems to benefit all shotgun shooters. I have had zero sympathy in the past for some of the posters on this website complaining about shooting next to someone shooting a semi auto. But today, after breaking out a brand new gun to figure out where it was shooting, a nice lady next to me shooting a semi auto dinged my new stock. I didn't believe this really could happen and I doubt she even knew it happened. Lesson learned always have sympathy for other's misfortunes and avoid these situations. Jay

2. oz

oz Active Member

dings in stocks happen in the gun rack. oz

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I shoot an auto but would not ever shoot trap w ithout a catcher. Thats a no no.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I occasionally shoot my 1100TT for fun and on one recent occasion discovered that I had removed its "diaper" for dove hunting and it was at home. No one had a rubber band or anything else that would work so I didn't shoot.

Ed

5. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

It is called doing the right thing.---Would you, purposely damage another persons car when you open your vehicles door in a tight parking space---if you shoot an auto-loader, there are remedies out there, T&S makes a shell catcher, Tron can install a deflector on your barrel--besides damaging your neighbors gun---you are probably messing up his or her game---the flying hull is enough to break someone's concentration, waiting for multi-catch to come out with their product--if not I'll send by barrel to Tron---Phil

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

No one with a gun that they paid anything for will put it in a gun rack . This B.S. about if you use it it will get a ding is just that B.S.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Alf99 - we all like pretty wood and why ding it. It is the same as taking off your shoes when coming in the home

8. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Like many gun owners my first hunting guns were pumps. I went from pumps to over-and-unders. When the left around the world started banning semiauto shotguns it made me want to buy one. Now the only guns I use are my 2 Remingtons, one in 12 and one in 20. I love them both. If I am shooting trap I always leave a space to my right. If I am shooting with a full team I will use my shell catcher. I haven't yet found one that works with my 20 gauge. I tried the rubber bands and don't like them.

9. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I had my Beretta's bbl's pinned to throw the shells forward and down. It works extremely well. On 4 at dbl.s the second shot was short and in front of the post 5 shooter. I now shoot an O/U and will determine where empties are going from an auto shooter to protect my stock.

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I would rather not shoot on a squad with an automatic, regardless of the precautions taken. There ALWAYS seems to be some sort of a problem with them at one time or another (Murphy's Law), and I prefer to avoid shooting with someone with an automatic, if at all possible...... Just my experience.......Dan Thome (Trap2)

11. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Washington State shoot, had two young kids fill in squad. Neither one had shell catchers on their 391's. I was lead off and the young man on post 5 kept flipping hulls at me after the first five. He banged one off my butt, one off my head, and one off my MX-10. I refused to shoot until some rubber bands were found. It cost me to lose two targets on that 25, and ruined the round for me. I re squaded the next day. BRGII

12. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Why not just toss your empty at the shooter with the autoloader and ... well ... if he says something just kindly tell him that if he is going to bop you and your gun with his shells your just going to return the favor and its to bad you aint bopping him with a shell while in deep concentration just moments before he shoots.

13. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Auto loaders at my club are banned without: shell catcher, shell deflector or a rubber band that works.

Frank

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've survived several occasions with autos on my left but the latest and worst was tossing shells on my hat, jaw, shoulders, arm, and gun, especially when he was on #4 and I was on #5. I kept still but took to stepping back 2 yards when the fellow shot then walked up, settled in, and shot my birds. He never got the clue that he was the cause of the irregularity. It will NEVER happen again; if I see the possibility approaching, I'll simply re-squad....Bob Dodd

15. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

As a left-handed 1100 shooter in all events, I make a lot of effort to be unnoticed by my squadmates. I definately use a shellcatcher in singles and handicap, along with a mylar deflector that directs the empties to the ground between and ahead of the person on my left. One other thing not mentioned above is not to close the action until there is a target in the air, preferrably a millisecond after someones shot is fired so as not to trip the trap. As far as breakdowns or problems, I have an incident once in a great while, and even I couldn't tolerate a lot of problems with these "mechanical marvels". In that light, I'd like to be able to remember how many times I've waited for someone with a P-gun to change a broken leaf spring or get another trigger, or worse yet, wait for someone to chase down a ramrod to clear a wad from their barrel from a blooper reload. There are all kinds of distractions in this game. I like the "parking lot door-ding" analogy made in a thread above; if you're a jerk you'll ding someone's door or bounce shells off their neighbor's stock. Be it a Mossberg or K-80, it amounts to the same kind of inconsiderate slob.

Life goes on.....

Larry Addison

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Scanning quickly, sir Devil, I see no mention of sporting clays issues but if there is, perhaps the writer was referring to 5 stand where there are 5 stations not much different than 16 yard positions and often much wider holds and shots. I've had 5 stand situations where a nearby auto chucker created problems like doubles trap, even across two positions....Bob Dodd

17. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Auto loaders are just another excuse for a trap shooter when he misses. I would think they would be loved by all. Look at the posts already they have costs guys to miss a lot of targets. Kind of like gun control. The guns don't kill people, people kill people. Targets are missed by the shooter not the squad mate with an auto loader. Might do some of you good to work on your concentration a little. Just an observation i had.

18. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I shoot an 1100 TC and have never had a complaint about flying hulls.I use a shell catcher for singles and cap so they can be reloaded. They may roll in front of the feet of the shooter on my right when shooting doubles. To my knowledge I have never hit a shooter or his gun. As far as a malfunction I always have a backup gun in my shooting cart just behind the line. For singles and cap it is a 870 Wingmaster with a trap barrel for doubles I have an O/U. Last year at the Southwest Grand it only took me two minutes to go back on line when the 1100 failed. The next day had to wait for a shooter to get his Browning out of his car when his K80 failed. I will do everthing in my power not to hold the squad or shoot up because my gun fails.

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Not sure how someone shooting a semi-auto next to you could CAUSE you to miss any targets.

Did they shoot for you? Did they pull the trigger on your gun?

Nobody missed those targets but you.

BTW, I have shot next to shooters using semi-autos without shell catchers. Yes, it can be a distraction. But when I missed, it was because I lost my concentration thinking about their hulls. My fault. Not theirs. The problem was the nut behind the trigger on MY gun.

My daughter, with her left-handed 1100 shoots to my right on our trap league. Admittedly, she does have a deflector stud on her barrel extension which knocks the empties down instead of flinging them, but occasionally, she throws a hull at my feet.

Big deal.

20. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I'll admit I'm somewhat of a whiner about shooting destructions but being hit by a shell isn't one. You haven't even mounted your gun if you follow the rules. I can understand coming unglued if you were being hit by a shell as your attempting a target. On the other hand shell dings are another matter.

When it happens that I'm being pelted by shells I turn my back towards the shooter and protect my stock. Not easy for a lefty I understand that.
    When I'm done shooting I will walk over to the shooter and politely explain about shell catchers and go to my truck and hand him a handful of rubber bands.
    Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.