Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shooting neighbor gave me best tip ever!!!

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Texshooter 
#1 ·
chatbrat - you must have shot at Clinton Saturday? I wished that I could be there but shooting the IronMan at Boone was enough Friday.

Hey - I had the pleasure of shooting beside someone that picks there gun up while I am getting ready to call for the target! That is correct - while I am getting my gun still - setting the release and calling for the target - here comes the gun up on my right.

I used it as a training issue and just kept pounding targets. So what do you tell people because some folks will tell you to shutup and keep on shooting.

We have had the pleasure of getting the same folks together to shoot at the bigger matches. That works out great because you know what to expect.

Good luck and tearemup:)

38-01615

#3 ·
NORMDERF: Simply put your gun back down, turn to the guy and look at him, and then mount and shoot. If he does it again, unmount your gun and look at him again.

If he's smart enough (hopefully) he'll get the message to knock it off.

If that does not stop him, I will stop the squad and say, I can see your gun movement when I shoot, so please do not do it. If THAT does not stop him, you could recite the rule book to him about distractions/harmony.

Unfortunately and fortunately, this happens most often in singles, but rarely at the 27 yard line. I think it's because most 27 yarders have been around and know what is expected. There are others, of course, but I can only speak about the long-distance guys. Most, not all, are good squad mates.

I used to see this in doubles often. About the time I'd swing right to catch the second bird, I'd see the guy to my right with his gun up ready to fire.

THAT STOPPED!

In the old days with hand-set traps this was less an issue because about the time you fried the kids fingers in the traphouse with quick pulls, the kids would figure out which shooter it was, and they'd get some crappy or no targets. Self-fulfilling prophecy, but not now with voice calls.

IMHO.

Whiz

#4 ·
Here is another $.02 worth: Instead of looking down, try looking past the spot that unhit birds fall, you will end up keeping your eyes focused at the distance, and not the short distance of the shell at your feet, plus you get to see other squad member's birds, and it is easier to keep count of when it is your turn..I also close my gun two shooters out, and keep it low and down range until I hear the "report". That way I don't need to concentrate too much on the others, and focus on MY game!
Listen to 'em all, try a few, then choose the way it fits your style!
lb

#5 ·
Yep - Luther and Randy wore us out but we sure enjoy them coming to NC. Luther is a lot of fun and Randy is a hoot.

Whiz - I could have done that but I just pressed on. During bigger matches I always lead off and the gal that shoots beside me is always still. When we change posts I check for the 1 man to be ready and then wait till she gets her gun set.

I rarely ever shoot post 3 and this was just where I wound up. I shot good anyway and just marked it up to the been there done that sticky note list:)

38-01615

#6 ·
I was told by by a long-time shooter that it would be more responsible to watch everyone's target breaks, in case the puller calls one wrongly. If you are not looking, then you can't back up the shooter who got a chip, or discredit the shooter who asks for a change from Lost to Dead, or see when a target comes out of the house already broken.

#7 ·
Looking at spent shells on the ground is not a suggested point to focus your eyes upon ... look downrange and focus your eyes for distance instead of close up on the ground. You will be able to see the targets quicker and easier if your eyes are focused for distance.

#9 ·
I close my gun as the shooter two in front of me is calling for the target. I remain with my gun down, motionless except for taking a deep breath as the shooter in front of me calls for and shoots his target. Then when it's my turn I am not rushed to bring my gun up to shoot and can maintain the rhythm of the squad. I eject the spent shell immediately after shooting so it falls behind the line and wait to reload until the next shooter has completed his shot. I feel it is very inconsiderate to be closing or moving your gun (or yourself) as the shooter next to you is trying to shoot. AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.