1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting My First ATA This Weekend!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Valerie Jones, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valerie Jones

Valerie Jones Member

I plan to shoot in my first ATA event this weekend . . . a bit scary, but reservedly excited. My question is whether I need have any concern regarding my membership status. I just registered/paid for my membership on the 20th of August. The ATA site does not list me as a member. Will the club where I am shooting have some way to access my information and do whatever they need to do to get me on a squad?

Any tips for this newbie?

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Have no fear! If you don't have your ATA plastic card and don't know your number, the club you are going to will just carry you as a temp/new member and submit your scores to ATA just using your name and address. It is common for people to join ATA and shoot the same day. You have a leg up on that.

As for tips - you will get more than you want/need when you get to the line but the one thing to remember is this a game where you are supposed to have fun and relax so don't get nervous. All the little details will get worked out. Let your squad mates know this is your first registered shoot and they will probably go out of their way to help your through it.

3. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Valerie, Welcome to the "Trap Family" your trip has just began!!!!! As a New ATA member you do not have an "Average" so you will need to advise the person at the "classification" table you are a New Member of the ATA and have NO Registered Targets.This person will put you in the Class & Yardage for a new member. I WOULD tell you the Class & Yardage but, if i made a Mistake i would be Tarred & Feathered and ran out of Town. You WILL do just fine and there are a LOT of shooter's that will assist you at the shoot. DO NOT be bashful, ask if you do not know.Be SURE and take your Membership receipt with you !!!!. Not Much help from me but, Have a GREAT time and WELCOME. Joe Whitehurst President New Mexico Trapshooting Assocation joe90t

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I bet almost every ATA or PITA trapshooter has a funny story to tell about their first shoot. I sure know I do, and I treasure the memory, although it was not so funny to me at the time. (Glasses fogged up, I overdressed and the sun came out!)

Have fun; as a distaff shooter, you will likely receive tons of unsolicited advice and attention.

David Buchman

Los Angeles

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good luck and welcome to the ATA family. Just relax and shoot as if it were only you at practice. You are gonna do great.

Matt

6. primed

primed Well-Known Member

The 2013 target year started 9/1/2012. Did you buy a 2012 or 2013 membership?

Bob

7. Valerie Jones

Valerie Jones Member

Shoot, Bob. I hope I registered for 2013! My receipt doesn't specify. I just took another look at the online registration form . . . I'm sure I selected 2013. If not, I will have a "funny" story even before my first shoot!

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. :)

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Even if it was 2012, you can pay to renew at the shoot. Just take your receipt and paperwork with you and explain the situation. I would also suggest a call to the ATA office this morning and they should be able to answer all your questions including if you are paid for 2013. Again, good luck.

9. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

I believe the online application says to bring your receipt to the shoot if you dont get your card in time. Also, from running shoots and doing paperwork, I always have extra average cards in my paperwork. Ask a club rep if they can get you an average card. The new average cards arent out, but you can keep it on the 2012 card, until the 2013 comes out. Filling out your average card right now is a good habit.

10. C-Money

C-Money Member

Good luck and enjoy! I shot my first ATA event last March after a 10 year pause. I was a little nervous my self, but it all worked out just fine. When you get your average and member cards, always have them with you when you get in line to squad. I forgot one of mine one morning and had to stand in line again! Shoot well!

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Like grntitan says you are there (shooting) for fun-enjoyment-relaxation so make it just that, 99% of the people you meet will wind up becoming your friends and will be your best source of info and help with your newly chosen hobby-addiction. Remember you only have to break one bird-------that's the one you're calling for, so don't worry yourself about the "last" one or the "next" one. Most of all ENJOY. Ross Puls

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

HAVE FUN!

13. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Most important thing is to have fun. Apart from that I have a couple pieces of advice. Shoot light target loads. Heavy recoil turns off more shooters than anything so don't go any heavier than 1oz and no faster than about 1200fps to keep recoil under control. Secondly and more importantly, only take advice from good shooters. I've seen on more than one occasion, a shooter who broke 69 giving advice to one who shot a 91.

14. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

Ok probably after you shot>>> So how did you do??? and welcome to the family!!!!

15. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Just joined the ATA. My average card says "New 8/30/2012" and says "Annual Member Thru August," but the dates above the charts are 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011.
    No date on the plastic card. Wouldn't there be a space for 2012 and 2013 scores?I am confused.
    Haven't shot a registered shoot yet.

16. Valerie Jones

Valerie Jones Member

I did it!! Shot my first 200 registered shots today with ATA. I truly had a wonderful time (in spite of the nearly 100 degree temperatures). I shot an 80 in both singles and my handicap at 19. I'm tuckered out and I can't wait until next weekend's shoot. Hopefully, I'll have a better handle on my nerves.

17. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Good job, enjoy the ride !!! Next thing ya know you will be helping a new member.

Wayne

18. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Great job. Congratulations. Let us know how next weekend goes.

Bud

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.