1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting live pigeons

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yakimaman, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Was reading a different thread and went to the frustrated guy's web page and he states (in his "info about me" page) that he shoots "flyers" - live pigeons. Is this for real? Are you talking about pest eradication or is this some kind of "sport" where a guy throws them up in the air and someone shoots them?

Rich

ps - I did post that question in the other thread but no answer.

2. DJSims

DJSims Member

You can do a google search for live bird shoots, but do not expect to receive an invitation or map on this web site from me.

Doug Sims

3. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Rich send a PM to little gambler. He can tell you all about it, and yes
    it's for real!

Bill

4. deankol

deankol Member

No, it's not real. If it were, some people would want to stop it.

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Very real. Can cost you big bucks...

6. yakimaman

Pay big bucks for someone to throw live birds so you can kill something? This is for real? Right up there with dog fighting in my book.

Rich

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Many of the very top shooters, plus many of the wealthiest shooters, like to shoot "flyers" which are not thrown, but released from boxes on the ground.
    It's a big money sport, but there's not much shooting - no more than 30 a day,
    a lot of sitting around waiting for your turn.
    We had a big one in North Carolina that shut down several years ago.

. Personally, I much prefer shooting trap and sporting clays.

8. yakimaman

"very top shooters" "wealthiest shooters" ...... breaking clay targets is boring, so they have to kill something to have a good time?

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Rich, I take it that you don't eat beef or pork or even chicken. They are all killed by someone too.
    And just think, they don't get enjoyment out of it either.
    GneJ

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If you have to ask you can't afford it. Takes nerves of steel and made many wealthy individuals quite poor. If you think breaking 100 2-hole Singles is tough I assure you it might be best to visit your cardiologist for a checkup before getting serious about live birds. That last ring when straight separates the men from the boys-you can almost hear your knees rattling!!

11. deankol

deankol Member

I ride my unicorn to flyer shoots.

12. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i guy told me once- shooting flyers, you need 2 things--a spare $50,000 and an extra wife--cuz when you get done, you wont have either one of them!!!

13. 87AA

87AA TS Member

I like deankol's responses...they don't exist and let's just leave it at that.

We kill pigeons all the time. Sometimes it's on the feed lot and other times.....

14. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

In Mexico they actually do have someone throw the pigeons so somebody can shoot at it.

15. deankol

deankol Member

The rings are located at the end of a double rainbow. My unicorn knows which one to follow.

16. psfive

psfive Member

When I was a bit younger (late 1960's) my dad and I would go out to a farm just outside town, it was a small town in Nebraska. We stood in an empty hog shed and wait for the pigeons to fly out from town. When they arrived we shot them and used the ones we got for decoys for the next flight. We used wire to prop them up. The white ones show up as decoys better than the dark colored ones. Some days ten or so some days fifty.

Those days shooting pigeons and shooting rats from under corn cribs were the best days and memories of my life.

Me and Dad. I really miss him. Paul (and dads memory) in Nebraska.

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Yaki, Aren't pigeons vermin? Ranked just above rats and starlings.

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Someone told me that pigeons must be abated anyway in large cities due to the potential of those cute birds carrying disease, lice, etc. I think this is so prejudicial, in fact my pet Norwegian Rat told just the other day that Cumadin (sp?) should only be used by humans in moderate doses to help control cardiac problems and never used to help abate diseased urban pigeons or diseased urban rats.

I do believe that some of those very expensive Packard and Lincoln and Caddy roadsters, sometimes custom-bodied, from the 30's, had a special compartment to hold shotguns. This was for attending "pigeon shoots"...those compartments were not entirely dedicated for golf club transport. I doubt if there has been a unicorn or competitive "flier" shoot seen since immediately prior to WWII.

19. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Would you believe it if I told you that I saw a five bird shoot off and each guy put up $5000.00 and the winner actually got $9500.00 after paying for birds etc. Jackie B.

20. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

It is the cocaine of shooting sports! The game has been around for about 150 years. Suggest you buy a book by Michael Ray Forehand, entitled: Advanced Competition Shotgunning, learn all about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bob brister and columbaire
box pigeon shooting

early pigeon box traps

famous pigeon shooters 1890s
famous pigeon shooters guns
live pigeon shoot box trap
loads for columbaire