1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting line etiquette again

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Here we go again. Of late I seem to be having problems with the falling chips or unbroken bird catching my eye when I'm getting ready to shoot. So, my solution is to wait for all pieces or whole birds to be on the ground before calling for the bird. This apparently does not sit well with some shooters. They claim that it disrupts the "cadence" of the line. Some of the shooters that I end up with as line partners prefer a brisk pace and whine when anyone interrupts that rythmn. isn't it my business how long I take to call for a bird as long as it's a reasonable amount of time? I would welcome anyones input on this subject. thanks Bill in MI

2. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

its your game play it the way you want.

Rick

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

You'll need to seek out like minded or more tolerant shooters to squad with. Most shooters prefer a steady squad. Aren't they just as deserving of shooting how they want to as well?

4. BIG B

BIG B Member

Phil Kiners dvd cites "quick calls" as a common cause of misses. If your seeing chips, you aren't focused on the bird. your call........your loss.

5. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

What about various flying insects, birds in the distance,livestock, cars/trucks, planes, etc?

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

backwoods,

Had a pheasant out about 200 yards spreading his wings and doing a little dance for me at KTA one time.

Distracted the heck out of me, but I didn't miss any targets because of it.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

So, timb, do you look like a hen?<;-)

8. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

They are just trying to use you as an excuse for their bad shooting. If it wasn't your "cadence" it would be something else. Call when you are ready shoot when you are on the target.

jim brown

9. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I too wait for target pieces to fall to the ground if they are large enough or in the area where I will be looking for my target.

Next time this happens, just tell the guy "If you'd break your target harder, I wouldn't have to wait."

"Cadence" is overrated.

Backwoods, what about them? The shooter can't do anything about the things you mentioned. He can do something (waiting a split second) about the target in his field of view. A completely different situation.

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Compared to trapshooters ... Golfers are pure amateurs when it comes to inventing excuses!

11. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

I have learned to wait till all the chips fall -- its how I shoot best.

A year ago when i was new to ATA shooting, another shooter told me after the first 25 that I was on a fast squad and that my "long" prep time (a few seconds to close my gun, mount and find a focal point) dirupted the squad's flow. I politely thanked him for the information and suggested that for next time, they should tell the regisrations folks that important information so they just dump anyone on them like that. I did not change my rythym then despite the evil eyes I got from the individuals and now i make sure i dont shoot with those guys.

12. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Slayer-

Thats just too bad for them.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've shot on squads that complained if you shoot too fast or too slow, according to their (opinions). You paid for your turn to shoot a clay, not the other guy!

This quick timing thing is a hold over from the old days where the better shooters could lock a handset trap in place and shoot terrific scores. The advent of interrupters helped a lot but the practice is still with us even with todays equipment. Some shooters today can come pretty close to getting the targets they want too!!

Hap

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What you are getting at is finding a squad you fit in with. We can't always pick and choose who we shoot with but shooting faster than you are comfortable is not a good solution to someone else's problem. Play your own game and if possible don't squad with those guys again.

Squad rythm comes from a group of shooters that like each other and shoot together regularly. It isn't something that is forced or demanded, but once you fall in with a group like that you will enjoy being part of the squad and they will enjoy having you on the line.

15. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

it aint a team sport......

16. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I shot a round of trap with black powder muzzle loaders at a black powder event. Talk about disrupting your cadence. 25 guys shoot, five to each post. You fire, leave the post, get back in line for your barrel to stop smoldering, wait for each of the 5 shooters at all five posts to finish their first shot, and then you take your second shot, and repete. Of course there are bore mops, ram rods and wadding material being flapped around the whole time. Not to mention the thick, choking clouds of smoke. It was distracting but pretty fun. If someone cannot wait 3 extra seconds for you to call for your shot, they are too darn picky.

17. Alamo

Alamo Member

Watched part of SW Grand Shootoff. Harlan Campbell was squadded with four fairly fast shooters. He took longer to shoot than they did, seemed to work for him.
    Every time I shoot fast, I just miss quicker. I guess I'm going to have to decide who to make happy, faster shooters or me.

18. William681

William681 Member

Not long ago I was shooting some practice rounds.
    The gentelman to my left was very slow to prepare for his next shot.
    He was 80 years old, had suffered a stroke, he had limited use of his right side. He no longer shoots ATA but still likes to get out bust a few now and then.
    It would seem like an eternity for him to prepare for each shot, he would lift his shotgun to his shoulder, his right hand loosly around the grip, next he would take his left hand and wrap the fingers of his right hand tightly around the grip, he would then use the index finger of his left hand to push his right index finger to set the release trigger.
    Next he would slide his left hand to it's proper position, get set, wait a moment, and call for the clay. He broke 94.
    I should do so well.
    Sometimes it was painful to wait, did I mind, maybe?, (not really).
    I pray that GOD grants me the same strength.
    Me, I focused, called for my target, and shot, (92 damn).
    If you blame the shooter on your left or right for your failures, you are only looking for an excuse, we only compete against ourselves.
    I pray that faced with the same, I will have the strenth he has shown me.
    Don't sweat the small stuff.

Bill Boston

19. cindyfenn

cindyfenn Member

This is a problem for me as a fairly new shooter. I shoot open rounds and everybody's fine but venture into SOME calcuttas and the atmosphere isn't so welcoming. It's a bit of a problem for me since I lack confidence in my shooting anyway.

For competition events, I try to stay with the "just for fun ones" even though there's money on the line, it's an A/B draw. I've almost gotten up the nerve to start shooting the open draw ones. I figure some people will understand and some will not but we all have to start somewhere. Funny thing is some of the A shooters I've been paired with are upset that I call too fast (bird is dead) and I think they're waiting since they know the timing of the machine.

Too complicated for me to care - I'm just in it for fun, respect other folks and try hard.

20. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

V10, not really as he is looking for reasons/excuses to miss. Think about it. It depends on what level you want to perform and finding the focus to acheive.

Hap, setting up a trap in the old days wasn't the only reason. Alot of the time we were just being a$$wholes and trying to make a shooter miss their turn :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

when a shooter disrupts the flow of the squad