1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?shooting lead shot in a rifled barrel?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BustClays, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BustClays

BustClays Member

I have an Ithaca model 87 deerslayer with fixed, rifled barrel. No longer live and hunt in NY and was thinking about using it as a home defense gun here in FL. I would want to load it with both shot and slugs but I am wondering if the shot will "bung" it up any. Obviously, I don't plan on using it very much, most of the targets here are gray and slow moving.

bustclays

ps,,,, I guess that the wad from shot would be much different from the wad used with slugs?

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Won't hurt the bore any but it'll throw "donut" patterns.

John C. Saubak

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Sabot slugs are made specifically for rifled bores and chokes. They have a "key" that fits into the lands and grooves of a rifled barrel causing the projectile to spin. As compared to a regular wad or shotcup, they are very different. Thanks John and sarge. I always wondered myself what the results would look like.

4. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

You're right sarge . I butchered that one. I was speaking of the way a Lightfield slug works, and going from memory, which didn't serve me . Lightfields sabots are keyed to the slug, not keyed to the l&g. My bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting lead shot in a rifled barrel

shooting lead shot in a slug barrell