1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting in Washington, DC

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cueguy2, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

I have an outside chance of moving to Washington, DC and was wondering which state you would use for your official state shoot? Nubs Wagner

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Wow...I thought this thread was going somewhere else.

...but it still has potential.

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I don't know how much has changed since the Supreme Court decision on gun rights for residents of the District, but even though you may have the right to have a gun in your home, transporting outside the home could still be a very big problem. I'd suggest calling the NRA to ask about it. If it were me, for many reasons, I would not become a resident of DC, and would be looking at suburban Virginia instead.

4. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Nubs, I think I would just stay in Ky. That way you don't have to worry about which state you belong to. Hoosier

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

DC shooters normally have registered their birds in Maryland, but I don't think you are forced to do that. Read the rulebook. If your home club is in Virginia, I would register my birds in Virginia. What club do you think you will affiliate with?

6. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

There is no State Shoot in DC. Go to Maryland........

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Commute to DC from a nearby state.

8. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

if you are seriously considering northern VA, shoot me an email (pun intended ;-) ). I can give you a brief overlay of the land, I have lived here going on 5 years now but have earned my stripes pretty quickly, enduring daily work commutes from hell to and from southeast DC and living in a few towns in Fairfax and Loundon Counties to know the area pretty good.

another good resource is to visit city-data.com and check out the northern VA and MD forums for general living advice.

go to WTOP.com for the metro DC area local news radio station...looking through the past couple of months stories should give you an idea of where to live LOL

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Long time we haven't chatted Nubs. Nice seeing you're still kicking around......Bob

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Live in Maryland, if you can. Then you can attend VA, W VA, PA, NJ, DE and MD state shoots very easily. Even NY is not too far away. There are a lot more clubs available to you, in my experience, for practice as well. Maryland and PA (just across the border) are crawling with trap clubs.

11. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

one thing I learned, in my first year in living in the DC metro region, it is truly a great benenfit to live as close to where you are working....after putting up with an hour and a half commutes, at 5am in the morning no less and 3 hour commutes when the weather turns nasty or because of an accident, I now cherish having a 5 minute commute to work, away from downtown DC. If that means living in an area with relatively few shooting clubs, so be it.

12. Juantoomany

Juantoomany Member

I agree with sern99..live close but live in Virginia...gun ownership is more civilized..and travel to maryland for some great shoots...

13. recurvyarcher

Yeah, and make that commute across the bridge there and back into DC every day. That's REALLY fun!

14. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

yes, live where you work, deal with your state shoot later. I live near Pittsburgh yet will be at 810 Vermont Avenue tomorrow AM. Not a daily commute but a weekly one. I personally like Northern VA. Warrenton is the place for me when I have to stay over for multiple days. Handgun laws in MD are close to NJ ridiculous. I have only shot at Bull Run in the area, it was fun enough but not like my local clubs in PA.

15. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

no matter where you live, if you have to travel into DC for work, you are going to get slammed.

also remember about BRAC...it's upon us....Bethesda, Ft Meade, Ft. Belvoir, Quantico, in addition to the upcoming mega lease fed building off of 395 in Arlington.

16. recurvyarcher

dcb_wvu has a very valid point as pertains to handgun laws. The public attorneys and judges don't give anyone a break, either. Be careful.

17. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Thanks for all the info. I really would prefer to stay in KY. I can shoot here every weekend year round if I feel like it. I should know in the next week.

18. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Cue: too bad you didn't visit this week....yesterday you would have seen what a commute from hell is like when it snows and sleet around the DC metro area....some of my co-workers, who usually have 25 minute commutes, had anywhere between 4 to 6 hour commutes...gotta love working only 5 minutes from home ;-)

live close to where you work, if feasible

19. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

If there were 4 to 6 hour commutes, you just say no and stay home that day lol. No need to ever do anything like that.

20. recurvyarcher

Can't say "no" when you are already there. It took LuvnBearHugs 4 hours to get home from the office last night. It's a 7 mile trip from her Maryland office to her Northern Virginia home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.