1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting in the wind?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hubcap, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I try to shoot a little faster in the wind.

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I try to shoot a little faster also. The conditions are the same for everyone but I think the mid to short yardage shooters have the advantage. Two of the three yards I gained this year were from shooting in 25-30 mph winds.

Bill

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If the winds in you face, close you case. From anywhere else it's OK. "Old 27 yard proverb"

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Shooting in the wind is like farting in the wind.....you gotta make damn sure you is up wind!

5. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Shoot like you normally would, see the bird, break the bird. Don't anticipate. RG

6. Montagnana2

Montagnana2 TS Member

I'm a B class shooter so you can take this for what it's worth. I have learned, at least for myself, and after getting this advice from a AA shooter, that lowering your hold point a little helps, at least with the wind coming toward you, causing the bird to zoom upward. The lower hold point seems to generate more energy to continue your upward swing. I used to be bothered by shooting in the wind but I usually do pretty well in it now and really have no psychological hang-ups about shooting on windy days. Other hang-ups perhaps, but not wind.

Larry

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Until one patterns their shotgun during breezes to hard winds, there's no way to know whats happening to your shotstring POI. Hard blowing crosswinds (excess of 35mph) are indeed tough. Rig up a 4X8 sheet of plywood to try when the hard crosswind blows and know how it affects your pattern. It will surprise you! Hap

8. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Got my trial by fire this weekend in singles and handicap. Very humbling experience. We had swirling winds all day, upwards of 35mph. Our fields face the east, and we waited until the sun got up a bit before we registered. We thought higher sun, and maybe the winds would die a bit. NO CHANCE.

After shooting only five months, I really got a dose of experience. During both the singles and 'caps, The breeze would be at my back, and before I could pull the trigger, the birds would curve, dip, and appear to rise as if climbing steps.

Scores really took a dive.

Best,
    Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.