1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting in the rain

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by The Kolar Kid, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

I have kinda a dumb question folks. When shooting and it starts raining and your gun gets all wet what is the best way to make sure she gets good and clean? Don't beat me up too bad now...

KK

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Give it a good cleaning afterwards but what does raining have to do with getting your gun good and clean? I would think if it was raining you would want to get your gun good and dry after it gets wet.

3. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I try to avoid shooting in the rain. But when I have to, like maybe today from the look out the window, and your guns gets soaked you have to take it apart when you get home and clean it. If you don't take it apart you risk the internal parts rusting up on you. Sometimes while duck hunting the end of the barrel will go in the water without me noticing until the next time I try to take the choke tube out and it won't budge.

4. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

Of course I mean dry it off. I figured I would remove the trigger and spray it all down with RemOil and the chokes as well as the rest of the gun. That's about all you can do I guess. Would you remove the stock and dry/clean or is that nessasary..

KK

5. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

The few times it's happen to me I've taken it apart including pulling off the stocks, blow drying it with my wifes hair dryer making sure I get the warm air deep in all the cracks and recesses, then Rem. Oil sprayed into the areas and spread around with a small clean fine bristle paint brush. Leave it apart overnight, double check the wood for dryness then reassemble. I have taken the time to pull all my wood off and put on a couple of coats of wiping polyurethane on all the raw wood including under the recoil pad.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"... what is the best way to make sure she gets good and clean?"

Soap on a rope should be in your shoot bag. May want to take advantage of the opportunity yourself. lol

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

When I get back to the motel or my home, I leave the gun case open overnight. My gun is a combo so the forend, barrels and receiver are already apart. I have treated the inside of my wood forend with sander-sealer and I am not concerned about my precision fit stock.

After it is dry, I clean it as usual. I don't like to shoot in the rain but it happens several times each year. The last time was last week.

Pat Ireland

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot international the firing points are covered. HMB

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

well, all i can add, since the gun cleaning is covered is this:

Put a small piece of a real chamois cloth (not the fake ones you can buy cheap, the real deal) in your vest/coat/whatever you shoot in). You can blot the water off your shooting glasses between posts and shoot in nice, clear glasses while everyone else is trying to see.

I like to shoot in the rain.

10. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

along with others here, I advise taking care of the gun before you take it into the rain. Manufacturers do not finish or even seal the wood you cannot see. From the forend to the butt, you find raw wood. Before you even consider shooting in the rain, be sure to seal/finish all those areas. Otherwise that stock will swell and besides looking like crap and taking months to get back to normal, it might stop the gun from cocking.

After you are done shooting, you gotta dry it out and relube. Don't put it off, or when you finally pull the buttstock, you might not like all the rust you find.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I sprayed mine down with WD40 and wiped down...then I lay it uncased across the back floor of my truck with its secondary heat on full blowing on the gun enough to get it hot to the touch for the entire ride home that bakes the moisture out pretty well and then a full teardown at home

12. JH

JH Well-Known Member

1. Most people have a "nice weather" and "shitty weather" gun. Use the shitty weather gun when it is nasty.

2. If you only have one "nice gun" you must seal the wood before you take it to inclement weather...there are many products you can use to seal the head of the stock, inside of the forearm, etc.

3. When you get back inside, keep the wood away from a heat source (the wood can expand and crack). Take the metal out of the wood (barreled action, etc.) and spray it like hell with WD 40 (shitty oil but great water displacer)...dry it, put Break Free CLP on all metal parts inside and out (the liquid bottle is better than the spray)....let it sit for a while....wipe it....give your stock a day to dry out (hang it so air gets to all its surface)...in the morning, see if the stock is thoroughly dry, if not, let it sit for another day away from a heat source, when dry to your satisfaction, put the metal parts back in...

4. Of course if you have a plated, plastic stocked back-up "shitty weather" gun you don't have to do all of the above....

13. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

No I do not think KK is Trappy with a new name but he could possibly be that Lumper guy with another new name.

14. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

I am neither of the guys you named. KK is just a good ole boy from Nashville - Mike Scaggs is my name and pleased to meet ya'll...

15. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

You aint Mike, I know Mike and Mike and aint no Scaggs and Mike from Nashville, Knoxville yes but not from Nashville so ... well ... are ya sure your who ya say you are and are ya sure your from where you say your from?

16. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

I do live in Nashville since 2005. Before that, Sacramento for 44 years. I am sure who I say am :eek:)

17. 682LINY

682LINY Member

if it even looks like rain,,,I carry spray furniture wax,,,,the whole gun gets it ,,,metal and wood, concentrate on the joints,,,metal to wood,,,,a little trick my stock guy told me,,,,,seal the edges of the wood ,,,,where the wood is real thin,,,,at reciver,,,,with crazy glue,,,,let it soak in ,,,and sand as needed,,,,disassemble and hair drier after shooting,,,,,have shot a lot in the rain,,,,I LIKE IT,,,makes me concentrate

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

KK,

Don't get into a identity crisis with Mr. Newbiass a.k.a. Lumper. You are dealing with a very disturbed individual there.

19. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

Thanks for the warning...

KK

20. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

If you shoot an auto, you can take it apart after the rain and spray it with brake cleaner then lubricate it as normal. Have had to do that at the Missouri state shoot a few times. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.