1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOOTING IN THE RAIN, GOOD GUN PROTECTION.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cyrus, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

With all the rain we are having in the northeast, can anyone recommend a good product to spray or apply to the METAL and STOCK to try to protect the firearm as best as possible. Your input would be appreciated. Thanks, Cyrus

2. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

I use Ballistol on the metal. The can says it can be used on wood too but it's pretty pointless to put oil on finished wood. Developed in Germany for the Military before WW I as a protectant for wood, metal, leather, anything a soldier carried.

I finished the unfinished areas inside the stock and fore stock with polyurethane when I first bought the gun.

The important part of rain shooting is what you do with the gun AFTER the shooting is over. I pull the receiver off the stock, spray it all over inside and out with Rem-Oil or Browning First Shot and then spray off the excess with canned air if I'm one the road or compressed air at home. Wipe the wood with a dry cloth and allow it to air dry. Spray the barrel with oil (especially under the rib) and wipe off the excess.

Mike

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Clenzoil and forget about it ... Good for the wood and metal as well as leather products ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

wwww.clenzoil.com and ask them for a free sample, you will love it ...

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It would be nice to have covered firing points. HMB

5. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

If I'm shooting locally, I break the guns down, drop out the triggers and remove the stocks (Kolar & Ljutic). Then I leave them in front of a dehumidifier for a few hours, which sucks out all of the moisture. Relubricate after and you are back in business.

Mike

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Before, I oil my metal generously with Birchwood-Casey Barricade. After, I try and get the gun out of the rain as quick as possible after shooting. Give it a quick wipe down with a paper towel. The heat in the barrel with evaporate the rain off of it, between the rib and barrel, where it is very difficult to dry. Then when I get back home I will take it apart, dry it with a hair dryer, and oil the inside, and let the wood dry out that runs against the metal. Also leave the case open, and give it a quick once over with the dryer, as there may be some water trapped in the cloth. Leave it all out in the open on a bench for a day, then reassemble and put back in the case.

7. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

I would like to thank everyone for their input so far. If any one has any other methods they would like to share, please respond. Thank you, Cyrus

8. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

When traveling home with wet guns I leave all guns in the open in the rear of my vehicle to surface dry. Home, remove wood,remove barrels,I use breakfree spray, as it hits metal it expands, forces water off, gets rid of moisture,I let stand to drip then I start to clean except receivers, BF drips out with whatever powder residue, pat dry and insides.

9. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

One old trick, if you have to shoot multiple rounds in the rain, is to rack your gun with the barrels DOWN so water will not seep into the lockwork while you're waiting to shoot again. After that, wipe it down, oil it, and then air dry it as soon as possible...as above. Envelope brand gun cases claim to prevent corrosion and Zerust in your safe will likely prevent issues. -J.W.

10. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I believe in finishing the inside of the wood (before it gets wet). Factories only finish the outside of wood.

11. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

I use a product called eezox. Google it for the tests. I don't think of it as a good lubricant but use it for rust prevention. I wipe it down before and after shooting. I will pull the rust off of old guns that you didn't care for.

Dave

12. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Some good tips above....but, a much simpler and EFFECTIVE corrective/restorative (meaning, you do it after the gun is soaking wet) technique is to get a large can of WD40 (water displacer), remove the wood from the gun and spray the HECK out of all metal parts with WD40.....stand gun barrel down on dry paper towels/newspaper in a corner at a moderate distance from a heat source... let dry.....then apply CLP to all metal parts (spray will do)....

The wood should be dried with paper towels and allowed to dry away from the heat source....

Done this many times at motels when at tournaments and it has ALWAYS WORKED!

13. mjsweims

mjsweims Member

The wood on my shotguns are all sealed and finished. When I expect to be in the rain I just wipe everything with gun grease - rub it in with your fingers. If I'll be sitting in a blind a condom works on the muzzles.

14. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Good info. thank you. Has anyone used or heard of applying Old English Furnitiure Polish, either Spray Can or the Scratch Remover they sell in Bottle as a protectent?

15. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I use Johnson paste wax on the stocks of most all my guns. I also seal the inside like Gary suggests. I also use a high grade carnuba wax on my bright work to protect it against the elements. All of this and a clean rag and some gun oil is good enough for me till I get the gun under cover and can do a proper disassembly and cleaning.

ss

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

If inclement weather is suspected, lightly coat exterior finishes with RIG grease. After shooting spray metal parts & any metal that got wet with WD-40. Dry off with a paper towel. When your home put metal pieces in a 200 degree oven for 30 minutes. All moisture will be gone. Relube.

Phil Berkowitz

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Interesting thought by hmb.

I have often mused about how one might do this and still be able to shoot singles and all the way back to 27. Easy to do if you only have to cover the 16 yard line.

Maybe a rolling structure.

Maybe someone has already done this.

18. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I find that a good draft beer taken frequently occomplishes two things: 1) It will keep me from going out in the rain to start with. 2) Protects my gun because it NEVER goes out in the rain.

I know: Candy A$$. Florida throws too many nice sunny targets for me to worry about shooting in the rain. Marc

19. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

When I was hunting Alaska, the guide recommend auto paste
    wax on the metal. Stock were synthetic as wood would swell
    no matter what you put on it.

20. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I had the best solution...move to Arizona. I shoot year round in the sunshine and my trucks no longer rust out from under me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

protection for gun in rain

shooting firearms in the rain