1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting in the RAIN - any tips???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TX-MX, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TX-MX

TX-MX TS Member

Headed to the TX State Shoot. Just in case, any tips for shooting in the rain? Any different bullets? Other than all that rain dripping down your glasses what's different? Also, gun care tips?

2. smartass

smartass TS Member

I suggest not shooting in the rain- it's just hard on the equipment.

3. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Get a small piece of real chamois - you know, the thing you dry cars with. NOT the fake stuff.

If you get a 6 inch square of the real stuff, you can keep it in your pocket and dry your glasses between posts. Won't scratch the lenses, and won't smear, either.

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Rain x on the glass' lenses. And a paper towel or two wadded up in your pocket. A can of brake cleaner and some oil for afterwards. Especially if you are an auto shooter. John

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Keep the rain off you'r glasses.

John C. Saubak

6. gjmen

gjmen Member

I tried using Rain X on my glasses and it destroyed them. It may have been a polycarbonate lens, I dont remember, but I had to order new lenses the following day. Be carefull. gjmen

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

A Filson brush hat keeps the rain off.....Jeff That is what I use. I admit that it isn't the most stylish affair but your glasses usually won't get wet with this set up. Being comfortable in the rain means increased scores. When other people just want to get it over with you are ready for your next trap with a smile on your face. The filson brush hat just tops off the gear. Gor Tex rain coat, and pants that cover the tops of your boots. Carry a towel or two to dry the gloved trigger hand and you will be ready for anything. Good luck. Jeff

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

RainX is for GLASS not plastic. Been many a motorcycle windshield replaced becaus of this. I like a wide brim hat all the time. Keeps of the sun as well as the rain. I have a Tilley hat which works well. Haven't shot much in the rain but a lot of days hunting. I also use a anti-fog on my glasses in colder temperatures.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Watch from the porch and hit the concession stand early : )

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

One of my friends wore an umbrella hat on the line during a shoot-off in Michigan rain, and won.

11. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

All you people who talk about staying on the porch are wusses.

If you don't plan on accepting every thing nature throws at you this isn't your sport. your out side you are gonna get all weathers, and don't say I'm not getting my perazzi or my kreigoff or my kolar wet. If you have to spend so much money on a gun that you cant take it out in the rain you shouldnt buy it.

Smoke em all...

Steven

P.S. to answer the question all that extra rain gear is gonna make the length of your pull different and make you more uncomfortable if you get the chance try practicing a couple times in the rain so when it comes time to do a shoot your not so foreign to it that you cant compete

12. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I love shooting in the rain,makes me concentrate that little bit extra,,,have shot my best scores at 2006 NY state shoot , ATA eastern zone and NY state zone ,,,all in down pours,,,,get some spray furniture polish,,,do the whole gun,,,wood and metal,,,after the shoot ,,,disassemble ,,,clean good,,,and a hair dryer on the wood

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Frog Togs rain suit.

Wide brim hat.

As others have noted, Rain-x on the glasses.

CLEAN AND OIL THE GUN WHEN YOU'RE DONE!!!

14. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

If your equipment won't take a little rain....you have the wrong equipment. A wide brimmed felt hat, frog togs (top and bottom), blinders on your glasses and a piece of chamois to wipe your lenses between posts. All the wusses have paid their money, but are sitting on the porch....get out there and take it. Dry and lube the gun afterwards.

Buz

15. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

protect your glasses,wide rim hat and try not to look the rain. Rain doesn't always mean a lower score, but don't let it get you if one slips by,keep head down anddon't give up. Forget it is raining, half the crowd has already beaten themselves up, you simply have to beat the other half that is still trying

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I hate having to clean a gun and tear it down that far..and if there is some area of unsealed wood that water can seep in under the finish and lift it...it will always look horrible....Sorry theres always another shoot tomorrow or next week..my gun goes away..and I'll watch and have my pick of the coldest beers from the coller.
    Although I do have a nice old 870 with a Jack West stock on it that has been pulled out to finish an event wn the weather went sour

17. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

thank you someone finally gets it

18. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

I live in seattle...if you dont like shooting in the rain you're in for a world of hurt.

hell...hunters have been hunting in the rain since the invention of the gun. Proper care will see you through without problems.

19. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Jeepers creepers Shootlow. What a novel idea.

Don't look at the sun.

There isn't any sun when it's raining. Good Golly, Miss Molly!

You should have told him not to look up. Sheeesh!

Hauxfan!

20. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I want to shoot into the rainbow afterward...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.