1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting in the cold

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Does anyone else notice a considerable drop in their scores when shooting in the cold? By cold I mean sub 40*F temps.

2. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Uh, yeah. And I notice that my loads all sound a little flat. Really annoying. Thought it might have been primers, wads or just plain mistakes my be loading, but after 300 rounds and changing up loads (1 1/8 and 1 oz loads, so different wads were used) same basic effect. I was seeing unburned powder in the barrel, never had a wad hang up but some serious inefficiency.

Not quite sure what to do about it but I did check the loads, that is, what the bushing were actually throwing and did go up one bushing for the next batch, will have to see how that works.

I was also shooting in very cold weather and I did get cold. Definitely affected my shooting, concentration, etc.

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

No.....wayne

4. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Rich,

Sub 40's is not really that cold.

I am shooting a winter league in upstate NY. We shot last Sunday in wind,snow and 7F. When temperature was in the 20's I was shooting 95, 96. I shot an 86 last Sunday so I guess the cold does make your scores go down.

Dr. Honk

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Then if it's not the weather then I have no idea why I'm doing so bad. I was shooting 22s on a bad day and 23s and 24s and 25s pretty consistently a couple of months ago and then as soon as it started to get cold my score dropped to 17s and 18s, which is worse than I did my first time shooting trap.

6. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

First, you must be wearing layers of clothes that WILL put your stock out on the shoulder AND if you have a conventional sloped comb, farther away from face/eye. (drop comb dimension.) Perhaps not your regular shooting coat at all. Your fingers are cold. Your nose is dripping. Did I mention you"re not in the mood to be in top form? (LoL) Keep your ammo warm. Don't use sleepy primers mixed with sleepy powder quantity. Cold does nothing for flame propagation. Dense air will sap the energy from #8s and MAY (help needed here) make the targets harder to break. Go out in the field and look for whole targets with too many holes in them. Mostly, a miss is a miss so check where your lead is going. Did I help? Regards, The TinMan

7. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Gave up shooting in the cold years ago when I was out one night in January and the temp was 2 degrees F and the chill factor was -20 F. There were 3 of us on the line and all I could think about was "I'll bet it's warmer inside". Temps below 40 and I'm inside, likely shooting pistols.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

8. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

sub 40's??? We are going to have teens & below this weekend for the trap and skeet leagues...

9. TrapDoggie

TrapDoggie TS Member

Our winter league starts tomorrow evening here in the beautiful Flathead Valley of Montana - the forecast is for a balmy 4 degrees with variable winds...shut up and shoot!

10. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

It would be nice if it got up to 40 for the Pen-Mar Shoot on Sat. It take more mental control to shoot well when you are cold. The only way to get it is to do it. Go to the line with the correct attitude. Not "I suck in the cold".

11. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I am shooting a tournament Saturday. It is supposed to be 2 degrees at 6 am but warm up to a balmy 22 degrees by noon. It is a sporting clays tournament so I can shoot anytime until 3. We plan on shooting at around noon. I shot practice last Saturday in the teens. I shot good but had to take off my gloves right before I shot at each station. I don't shoot good with gloves on.

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The Sunday "Icicle Open" (Jan. 10th) is forecast for a high of 28 deg. and windy. Gonna be some sporty targets.

Curt - Delaware

13. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

i haven't read anything here about the breakability[?]of targets in the cold. I have read somewhere that it takes more to break a target in the coldest weather. to the point where you can buy "cold weather" clays.Anybody else heard of this? there is no winter shooting here by Saginaw bay. We all go ice fishing in heated shelters instead. Bill in MI

14. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I was watching the Orange Bowl last evening. They said it was the coldest on record. Do you think the left and all the "scientists" will still be selling "global warming". Al Gore should be booed off the stage. I guess all the flat earthers were right. Stupid liberals. Always wrong on every issue.

15. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

highflyer About 5 or 6 years ago I started wearing gloves all the time shooting . Took about 75-100 targets to get comfortable . Now it,s not Comfortable without gloves . I feel with glovers in the summer I have better control no sweaty hands and cleaner to .

I don,t like shooting in clod weather . I don,t shoot well in the cold and really is no fun . Like a friend told me years ago ATA April-Ta -August

16. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Interesting you mentioned breakability slayer. I shot Sunday, it was 0 degrees. I missed a lot of targets and the ones I did hit just kind of broke apart, no smoke like I would have expected with same shell/choke combination in warmer weather.

Here's an attempt to quantify, Winter Jackrabbit league. Same club. 2009, it was 32 degrees and 868 out of 1000 targets were broken by the top 4 teams. 2010, 0 degrees and 790 targets were broken.

17. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

One other thing, the top team in 2010 broke 92% of the targets that the top team broke in 2009 when it was warmer. The 4th team broke 88% as many, which means that the best shooters shot worse on an outright basis but better on a percentage basis than there peers. Makes sense.

Dave Eberhart

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What I have discovered about shooting in this cold weather over the last month or so is that my handicap shells loaded with Green Dot don't perform very well if I store them in my unheated loading shed. I had a lot of blooper sounding shells that left a lot of residue in the barrel when using those cold shells. The solution is to just bring a flat in to the house the night before I go shooting.

Interestingly, the shells loaded with CLAYS shot just fine when cold. Just to play it safe, I'm bringing them into the house too.

As far as scores go, I'm shooting pretty good scores right now and I think that is because there has been very little wind and target visibility is good. I am staying warm by dressing in layers and enjoying this time.

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

When I lived in Ohio, I shot trap in some very cold weather at times. I also used my reloads to hunt ruffed grouse through seasons end in Feb. I found it better to build a good fire in my reloads when shooting either when the temps really dropped! I kept my chamber pressures near the top and had no problems at all. Trying to use low pressure loads in the winter don't work nearly as well as they do in the summer. I hate weak breaks on clays when it's pointed properly or hitting a game bird and having my dog have to chase it down! Check out your chamber pressures on those loads sounding off key a bit, they are even lower pressured loads at the lower temps.

Hap

20. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I shoot autos. I don't shoot them wet but do use some Breakfree to clean them then wipe them down. At what temperature does even a little Breakfree gum up the works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best colt trap scores

shooting in the cold

trap shooting in the cold