Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shooting in So.CA – a trip down memory lane..

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Ahab 
#1 ·
Last weekend I happened to be in Los Angeles on a business trip and was driving back to LAX from Palmdale when I decided I would make a quick stop at Oak Tree Gun Club to see how it has changed since I left LA. I half expected to see Richard still limping around the Skeet field and Booge or Chris in the office, but instead I got a different surprise. Wow, has that club gotten a make-over! The new paint everywhere, the Sporting Clays course, the Pistol range and the full service Pro-Shop. THAT IS NICE. Then I asked at the window how much for a round of trap - $8.00. Now I know how they paid for all that nice stuff.

As I left and drove to the airport I took a trip down memory lane of what trapshooting in Southern California consisted of back when;
1) Golden Valley Gun Club – where Ben DiOrio ran a great operation (if you admit to remembering this club I promise not to ask you your age).
2) San Fernando Gun Club – where Betty charged $1.25 per round.
3) Calabasas Gun Club - where the targets floated off the cliff (can you fathom the thought today that they would actually allow a shooting range in the city of Calabasas?)
4) Winchester West, Long Beach – now they had a nice lounge that actually served alcohol.
5) Laguna Beach
6) International Trap & Skeet Range – where Floyd Davis squeezed out every available penny (I can actually remember waiting 45+ minutes just to shoot a practice round on a Saturday).

Speaking of driving to LAX – it was Saturday ~2pm and it was literally bumper-to-bumper from the 101/405 all the way to Century Blvd. No accidents. No Stalls. No Construction. Is it always like that on a weekend???

See less See more
#3 ·
In answer to your last question first: No. It is usually worse. Yes, it is expensive to shoot a round at Oak Tree; it is more expensive at other ranges.Moore-n-Moore (Tujunga) gets 44 cents per target.If I remember my 2nd grade math, that comes out to $11.00 a round. Unfortunately, there aren't many trap/skeet ranges remaining. There are no ranges that I know of within the city limits of L.A.( a big city in terms of physical size)).Brings to mind the old saw about the floating crap game: Everyone knows the game is crooked...but it's the only game in town. It has reached a point where a good quality shotshell costs about 7 to 8 dollars a box (or more). If you go out to the range to shoot 100 shells, between the fees and the shot it is quite easy to go through 65 to 75 dollars and that doesn't include gas at $3.79 a gallon for premium. If you shoot twice a week....well you get the picture.Wonder if it is too late to join a country club and take up golf?

#4 ·
In answer to your last question first: No. It is usually worse. Yes, it is expensive to shoot a round at Oak Tree; it is more expensive at other ranges.Moore-n-Moore (Tujunga) gets 44 cents per target.If I remember my 2nd grade math, that comes out to $11.00 a round. Unfortunately, there aren't many trap/skeet ranges remaining. There are no ranges that I know of within the city limits of L.A.( a big city in terms of physical size)).Brings to mind the old saw about the floating crap game: Everyone knows the game is crooked...but it's the only game in town. It has reached a point where a good quality shotshell costs about 7 to 8 dollars a box (or more). If you go out to the range to shoot 100 shells, between the fees and the shot it is quite easy to go through 65 to 75 dollars and that doesn't include gas at $3.79 a gallon for premium. If you shoot twice a week....well you get the picture.Wonder if it is too late to join a country club and take up golf?

#5 ·
For your information, North Hollywood Sportsman's Club throws targets for members at $4.00/round and guests for $5.00 per/round. We are undergoing an expansion adding three more trap fields [total of 5] and a skeet field [total of 2]and a new club house. We are lcoated in L.A. County just outside of Santa Clarita. Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.