1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting in rain-how much is enough

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pull!, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pull!

pull! TS Member

shot at Ft Worth yesterday and on 3rd trap it started drizzling-before we finished that trap-it was raining cats aand dogs. Got wet and cold

When do YOU say stop?

2. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

When it stops being FUN!!!!!

I did!

Gene

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

When the lightning starts, I stop.

Ed Yanchok

4. COLOKOLAR

COLOKOLAR TS Member

I read that one doesn't even have to "see" lightning for it to be dangerous. If there are heavy clouds and a darkening sky its probably prudent to put down the lightning rod and wait for a bit. It's a wonder we haven't had more strikes at gun clubs.
    Bill

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I'd stay in any kind of wind and rain, but lightening would make me stop.

6. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Agree with Ed - do not disagree with Colokolar, just believe it is far too difficult to describe an approaching storm to determine when to quit if you do not actually see lightning.

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Just pull down you'r cap to keep the rain off you'r glasses.

John C. Saubak

8. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

The National Safety Standard says wait at least 30 Minutes after the last sound of thunder before going back outside.

Take care,

Jim

9. jappo

jappo TS Member

I'd hunt ducks, deer in the rain but shoot trap,,, No Way. I've never understood why people shoot trap in the rain let alone pouring down. It's not a macho sport or anything so why does most people think they have to stay out there an get soaking wet?? For me, if it's starts to rain I walk off the line. Catch flak sometimes but I can stand back under cover and watch them walk back soaked clear to their underwear and rain in every crack and crevice of their guns. I know it won't change but I don't understand the mind set.
    I do wonder sometimes. Do they mow in the rain, paint in the rain, have sex outside in the rain, wash their car in the rain??? Shooting in the rain don't make any more sense....

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The last two are totally possible. What's your point?

11. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i don't shoot in any rain these days. i once shoot skeet in such a heavy rain that i found an 1100 remington would operate under water.

12. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I would shoot in rain before taking a zero for all the targets. Unless the shoot management calls everyone off the line, the shoot is still going on. You are supposed to be able to handle mother nature. I shot my first state shoot 100 straight in the rain at this years Missouri state shoot. Glad that I didn't walk off the line for that. John

13. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

I see no problem shooting in the rain, just get on your rain gear and rubber boots and press on. As to lightning, shut it down.

14. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Don't mind the rain...just buy a nice rain jacket - see thread being discussed today - oil your favorite trap gun down, put a smile on your face, say "What? Me Worry?" and have a ball. I will be watching from under the shelter. Best Regards, Ed

15. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Don't mind the rain...just buy a nice rain jacket - see thread being discussed today - oil your favorite trap gun down, put a smile on your face, say "What? Me Worry?" and have a ball. I will be watching from under the shelter. Best Regards, Ed

16. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

irfner, that is the best story that I have read on here in ages lol. Still laughing. John

17. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Guys I'm an ironworker and have worked on the lightning rod for over 30 years. The 30/30 rule is a good one but remember a couple things here. Lightning can jump 30 miles and strike in a second. YOu will have no warning and it happens all the time. I was about one foot away from a guy who was struck by lightning and was bitching at him to stop what he was doing so he wouldn't get struck. He survived and was lucky that he had no lasting effects from the strike. The light or heavy drizzel we shot in last weekend didn't include lightning and I would have walked if I'd heard any thunder. Use your own best judgement and certainly walk if there is a close strike or when you can tell it's close. Dan

18. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Most every squad shooting the GLG Championship Singles in Mason on Sunday, around 1:30pm (2nd hundred), walked off the line due to hard rain. For 5 minutes or so it came down in buckets. The idea of hitting anything in such a deluge is crazy. Most took cover in the tents set up for the pullers. Once it passed (5 minutes or so) everyone took the line and finished the round.

I've never shot in any tournament where those running the shoot forced you to the line when it was raining to an extreme. A light or moderate rain is another story. cls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.