1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting impressions-P gun vs K gun vs Ljutic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

When comparing My Mono Gun with my TM-1 I find the Ljutic to be quite a bit more front heavy. It took a while to warm up to the Ljutic but now it is my favorite. The TM-1 feels very light up front and by comparison-it is.

I just picked up a K-80 34/32" unsingle combo. I would appreciate your opinions as to how it compares with the Ljutic and Perazzi. Not interested in who feels which gun is the best, just compare how they handle when swinging for a target.

Thanks, Marc

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My TMX swings a lot faster than my K-80 unsingle and it is a lot lighter. Bulge.

3. JTEA

JTEA Member

In general, I would agree with Dick; However:

The early Ljutic Monoguns were quite heavy, the usual Ljutic mono has a little more front end weight, and the current One-touch Mono's are lighter and faster than the "mid-series" Mono-guns and similar to the K-80. Are you aware that many mono-guns were made lighter, and some were made with heavy barrels? The wood density also is a factor. Same with Dynokics, early were heavier. The Ljutic One-touch has a .740" Bbore.

In general, from talking with shooters and watching them, Ljutics are shot best by using the "point to point" method. (described in Ljutic's owners manual) Hold the gun steady, lock eyes on target as it passes sight plane, then make a direct move onto target. The K-80 and lighter guns are more suited for "tracking the target", swinging through with sustained lead. This is one reason some people get Ljutics and can't figure out how to shoot them.

JT

4. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

If you've got to have a manual to tell you how to shoot a certain brand of shotgun...

5. luvtrapguns

rbmtrap, It seemed to me that all responses were an attempt to be helpful, AND THEY WERE!!! I just purchased a K-80 Combo and will not receive it for a week or so. I always get excited by a new toy, just trying to see how others feel about these guns.

YOUR RESPONSE was not helpful and seemed outright vindictive. Was it perhaps because you had no knowledge or nothing constructive to to add? In the future, when feeling a mean streak, please start your own post instead trying (unsuccessfully) to spoil another. Or maybe your just having a bad day. If so, my condolences.

Marc

6. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

luvtrapguns - wow, you got out'a bed onthe wrong side today... An earlier poster had implied that many Ljutic purchasers were unhappy because it didn't fit their shooting style, or just failed to read the Ljutic manual... And again, if someone at this price level (and with the level of experience implied by such an expensive purchase) has to read a manual to find out how to shoot a certain brand of shotgun well, then personally, I'd move on from that brand...

But now that you mention it - I do think your thread is naive. You should read a Bob Schultz post from a couple of weeks ago about gun selection and purchase - I believe it may have been on a thread where he was trying to sell a beautiful Silver Seitz. Should be mandatory reading for all who contemplate puchasing expensive shotguns.

The reason that I find your post naive is that by some simple adustments, any shotgun can be pretty quickly and cheaply modified to 'feel' and swing differently by modifying the balance point and POI. Add weight to the back of the stock, and all of a sudden the gun becomes more maneuverable and feels lighter. Conversely lose some weight, or add some to the forearm or barrel and the gun points slower and feels heavier. In other words, it's eay to modify the perception on any gun, so the broad generalities about subjective feel characteristics is somewhat meaningless, as all of them can be altered within some limits.

Perhaps more on point to your sanctimoneous post, is that I own three P guns, and five P barrels. Not only can I change the shooting charcteristics by changing from a 34" Sietz modified P barrel to an 'identical' 34" Wilkinson modified P barrel, I can change the perceived weight and balance point. The Seitz barrel has the Seitz porting, and that little bit of metal gone at the end of the barrel makes a noticable difference. My guess is the guns feels and handles yet differently from that same stock/receiver with a factory original but unaltered barrel or the same original weight. By shortening/lengthening the stock, adding/taking away some weight to/from the stock, changing the forearm to a shorter/longer/fatter one, I can make you think you are shooting vastly different gun. You can do the same with your mono gun or TM1.

The only way for you to figure this out is to try a couple of each brand in your hands. After shooting a couple guns of each brand, you will know almost immediately if their designer's idea of a great shotgun is the same as your own. NOTHING will replace you placing your hands on the different guns and reaching your own conclusions...

7. luvtrapguns

rbmtrap, It's really nice to make the aquaintance of someone that knows it all. I've been working on it but not quite there yet. I had no intention of turnig this into a pi$$ing contest. I own a TM-1 plus two Ljutics. My K-80 will not arrive for a couple of weeks yet. The intention of this post was to learn how accomplished shooters felt one gun compared to the others, and their responses were reasonable and helpful. Your two cents worth were not. The manual you seem to have composed just for me was taken as good intent but had little, if anything to add to this post.

"If you've got to have a manual to tell you how to shoot a certain brand of shotgun..."

It seems as though you went out of your way to belittle someone trying to be helpful.

To JTEA: I'm sorry you and all others that participate on this site trying to help out a fellow shooter have to be exposed to so much crap.

To rbmtrap; If you feel like you have to get in the last word, feel free. Even though I feel your responses were to feed your self centered ego I will post no more responses to substitute your need for those little blue pills. I do think that if you did not intend to belittle JTEA or myself you should say so. Marc

8. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

To further complicate matters, not only is every shotgun adjustable within limits, with all manufacturers, different products within their line shoot differently, for example all Ljutics don't feel or handle the same. More significantly, all manufacturers can adjust parts to suite - different weight barrels of the same model, denser/heavier wood, fatter/thinner wood to radically change the handling to suite the intended purpose.

Given the specs, each of the maufacturers you mentioned probably could produce a similar product, that would blindfolded would handle and feel almost exacty the same as another manufacturer's version.

Although I'd had a couple of Ljutics, I'm not as familiar with them as Perazzi, but within their product line there are a variety of handling models and options. Clearly so too with Perazzi - in fact wonderful though the TM1 is/was, I'd venture an opinion that it was not representative of the overall P product line.

The point, if any, is that to ask a general question about feel between manufacturers has too many variable to be meaningful, including information about the shooter.

Good luck with your K-gun, hope you get many years of successful use out of it. BTW, I've never heard anyone say that Kguns could be misunderstood without a manual to explain how to shoot them successfully - the purpose of my original post...

9. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

i thought it was a good question, i've never been fortunate enough to own any of these guns so i was looking forward to hearing opinions on them.

seems like in the last week or so that there have been a lot of pissy people on here, sheesh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ljutic shotgun adding weight

silver seitz vs ljutic