1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting/hunting(upland) magazines

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sernv99, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

This past year I signed up for subscriptions to both Shooting Sportsman and DoubleGun Journal. I liked both enough to consider renewing my subscription again next year.

What other gun mags would you shotgun/upland aficionados suggest? I was looking at subscribing to the Upland Almanac as well. Some of the gun dog mags have good gun/hunting articles but I don't have a hunting dog at the moment so I don't know how much use a gun dog mag would be.

2. ctreay

ctreay Member

I get Petersons Hunting. Good hunting articles and hunting gun reviews.

ctreay

3. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

How about buying my full set of Double Gun Journal with all slipcases and indexes for $1000.00? It can be picked up in MD or I'll ship. They're all packed and ready to go.

4. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Upland Almanac is printed in Vermont, and comes out 4 times/yr. In my estimation it is what a good information mag should be. Lots of good articles on dogs, grouse, woodcock, pheasants. I dropped my subscriptions to Shooting Sportsman and Sporting Classics. The "stories" have become mostly poorly disguised advertisements for high end hunting/fishing destinations that 99% of us will never be able to afford. Shooting pen raised quail in Georgia for $900+/day or jetting off to the UK for a 3 day $7,000 driven pheasant shoot?

Maybe I'll adjust my thinking after I win PowerBall. Until then, I prefer articles that contain information that I can actually use. DGJ is a fine magazine, but they seem to be leaning more and more toward articles on single shot rifles and European/Continental side x sides.

5. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

notquite27: all good points....with that said, if I had to pick one, I prefer DoubleGun Journal over Shooting Sportsman just because of some of the good articles on the various gun makers. I may drop ShootingSportsman and subscribe to Upland Almanac instead.

6. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Sernv99, I do watch Double Gun Journal at Barnes & Noble, but no longer
    subscribe. I am mostly interested in US doubles and they seem to have covered
    most and are now on Eurapean stuff. I subscribe to Shooting Sportsman and like
    their articles. I subscribe to Gray's Sporting Journal, they also cover several
    things like fly fishing, but the writing is excellent. I subscribe to Pointing
    Dog Journal and like it alot, but I am hunting partners with 2 Llewellin Setters. Gun Dog Journal is also very good.
    If you want to increase your enjoyment of hunting the money that takes you the
    furthest is a hunting dog.
    Wishing you the best hunts in the New Year! Gary Owen

7. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

My last issue of DGJ came with a note saying that issues would no longer be available on news stands. Just an FYI if you want to continue to get the magazine.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I like Gray's Sporting Journal. It may not be what you are looking for, but it is a good read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hunting and shooting magazines