1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jape, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jape

jape TS Member

Need some help. Traded my browning special trap for a bt 99. Shot the special trap in the low 90's. The bt. is giving me scores in the eightys. special had 32" barrel and the 99 has 34. Is there a chance that is the difference? Both had adj.combs. any advice for me. Thanks

2. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

First thought how long have you been shooting the 99 - both brownings but totaly different guns. The length may make some difference however I didn't notice it going from a 101 Trap Winchester to a BT 100, now after a period the BT is on the money, however not always the shooter. It takes some time... Good luck Fraz

3. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

Jape
    Have somebody that knows how to shoot stand behind you on the trap line, they should tell you what is causing your misses. There could be a POI difference between your trap special and the bt99. I have had way to many veterans of trapshooting tell me that when shooting a newer gun, shoot at least 5,000 rounds through it. You can take your preference of singles or handicap. This allows a couple of things- One is, that when you shoot that many rounds it allows the mental aspect of changing guns to fade some, and at the same time you develop a feel for the new gun. I can settle into just about any gun within 5,000 targets. Dont be afraid to make adjustments that allow you to shoot naturally to your enstinct, to many people just simply, shoot shotguns that do not fit them, and then wonder why they cant put up good scores. Also think of the reason you changed guns in the first place, was it a problem that could have been fixed with the first gun, or was it that you have told yourself something that may not be true. I know myself that some guns just dont fit a person just quite right, and I am glad that I found one that does and allows me to be confident, and comfortable enough to put good scores on the card.... Good Luck......

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is probably a combination of 147 different things that is causing the problem. First of all did you shoot the gun before you bought? If not you committed one of the cardinal sins of trap shooting.

Most likely causes of your problem are different POI, and or a difference in the triggers of the two guns which is causing the gun to fire a little early or late. Your brain knew how to break birds with the other gun, and now it is a little confused because the guns are different. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.