1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting help please

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by edthearcher, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

hey guys I need advice. after a 40 year lay off from shooting trap, I started up 2 months ago and they tell me Iam doing great have shot many 25s at the 16 yard line shot several 50s and about 3 weeks ago ran 75 straight. Iam shooting rem. hulls #8 shot rem. figure 8 wads, 17.3 grains of 700 X. my handicap shooting is really bad I float the bird lead it squease the trigger and keep the barrel moving on left and rights away shots I catch up to the bird block it and fire only to miss, yesterday I shot at a fun shoot in melrose wi. the first 25 I cleaned than they handicaped the teams the avarage plus 2 yards we shot at the 24 yard line and I missed 10 wow How about some one giving this 69 year old confused man some help thanks ED

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- Without watching you shoot, I would offer no advice except keep shooting. Just remember that it takes longer for a young man like you to learn how to shoot than it takes an older person. After you get a few more years, things will work out.

Pat Ireland

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ed, how bout attemptin to miss those longer yardage birds by missin in front ofem? Whuddaya think about tryin that, just for somethin different? :) Hap

4. missemucho

missemucho Member

How high are you holding on the house? If you're holding a high gun for 16's you may need to come down further--from the 23 on back I'm right down on the top of the house. Just a thought.
    John

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hap - Excellent advice. I might add trying to shoot over the top of them also.

Pat Ireland

6. C H S

C H S TS Member

I was surprised by the comments Nora Ross made to me when I went to her school earlier this year. She told me things I never knew about handicap. I thought I had to lead the targets more; she said no, I have to shoot tighter to the targets than at 16 yards. With my Browning I need to shoot a tight 4 o'clock on rights, 6 o'clock on straights and 8 o'clock on lefts and that there are VERY, VERY FEW straights in a round. Her advice raise my score an average of 5 targets per hundred from 23 yards.

Andy

7. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

If you have an ajustable comb try moving it up about 1/8 inch or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.