1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Help Needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Westie, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westie

Westie Member

Shot tonight in league. Shot for several years but mostly in league only. Had a 24/16. When I thought about the 16, I think my head was on the gun and my eyes followed the target but I must not have moved the gun. At least I got lazy with it or I wasn't connected or something. Anybody have this happen or have any other ideas. I was concentrating on keeping my head down the entire time. I always thought the gun would go where you looked and if your head was down, you were going to break the target. Thanks for any help.

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

One of the hardest things to do is give valid shooting advice over the internet, especially without having seen you shoot. I'm sure some will try. There are some good trap shooting instructional videos on youtube, or get someone at the range to watch you, that knows what they are doing, and see if they spot something. The 24 means you are doing something right. Was the 16 also at 16 yards, or further back? Mark

3. Westie

Westie Member

It was from the 21. Temp. was about 46 tonight when we shot. The 24 seemed easy but it sure went away in a hurry.

4. Westie

Westie Member

OK, here's the question a better way, maybe. If your head is on the gun, and your eyes follow the target, do you think the gun goes to the target? I'm ready to be called stupid for asking this. I think I've been told that the gun does, but I think I must get lazy or something and don't swing the gun to where I'm looking?

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

After many times of practice, the brain figures out how to move your muscles, so that the gun follows your sight. The brain also figures out to compensate for lead and speed. It just takes successful practice. It's like pointing your finger where you are looking. You are probably pretty good at that, but your brain has had years of practice to figure it out. Handicap yardages just magnify any errors. Practice, and when the target breaks, your brain files that away as a successful attempt, and you will know what it should look like the next time. Good luck and have fun. Mark

6. dhip

dhip Active Member

Had a similiar problem,the advice I got from another shooter was concentrate on the follow through when that starts to happen.(missing).Seemed with me anyway,I was starting to either slow down getting to target or possibly stop at the last second.All I know is I started concentrating on the follow through and it went away,even hit the Long bird they have in a draw at the club,right after I started concentraing on follow through.If I start missing,first thing I do now,is concentrate on follow through until things smooth out.Might help,hope so,,good luck.

Doug H.(pa)

7. Westie

Westie Member

Thanks Doug. I'll try that. Makes sense and may be the answer if I'm lazy moving the gun or stopping.

8. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Westie; First if your gun is adjustable check it over for loose skrews.Ijust had that happen to me;I shot a 49 then about 30 minutes later I shot a 38. I found the rear skrew on the rib ready to fall out.

9. Westie

Westie Member

Will do. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.