1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Gun Down

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mike campbell, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Has anyone been known to routinely shoot registered trap starting with an un-cheeked, if not un-shouldered gun? If so, what class did they achieve?

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

sounds like international skeet

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

An Ohio shooter by the name of Herb Webb used to shoot that way, he is now de-ceased

5. Damifino

Damifino Member

PapCharlie on this forum can break them all from the hip.

6. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I was going to start shooting that way but it seems everyone who did is no longer with us!!

7. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Trap guns, with their high combs, and typically longer lenth of pull than field or other purpose shotguns, are not particularly suitable to a "gun down" shooting style. They are also typically heavier and longer, again making for an awkward use in the "gun down" starting posture. Games such as skeet and sporting clays were originally created to provide off season practice for hunting, and so started as "gun down" (or off shoulder) as this is the way you hunt. Later, at least in America, the sport went to "gun mounted" although many still shoot gun down. Trap, on the other hand, was a sport in itself from the very beginning and simply does not work well from the "gun down" start.

Jim R

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It is just a matter of practice. Years ago a club I belonged to in Indiana held a hip shoot regularly and you would be surprised at how many people broke. It was actually a lot of fun. We even did buddy shoots from the hip

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have seen a few shooters do this who also shoot sporting clays. I asked one guy why when shooting trap and he said its' easier to do it gun down on both types of shooting instead of having to try to remember to have to shoot gun down on sporting clays. Of course he also shot a sc gun for both events as well. Another shooter who comes to the club on weekends shoot gun down, but is also a skeet shooter. He said he likes to shoot gun down because if is more challenging for him.

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

OK , I love it. My best score was a 24 and thats almost my best score gun up as well.

I did it with a Beretta 687 32" Sporting and 7/8 #8. I started with the gun mounted to set up my stance. I then dropped the butt to my waist with the bead at the trap roof. After that, push the gun forward after the bird, mount up and shoot without riding the bird.

I did the 24/23 in a league shoot against one of the best clubs in the area.

Really gets the jaws flappin', they come out of the bar and clubhouse to watch.

Others asked me about it and what was my score, 47 "Awww! That ain't no good!"

Can I do it all the time? No but here's the reason behind it:

1) You really see the bird before moving the gun and the bbls are not in the way.

2) You are guaranteed to never have a dead gun. You're swinging and in the right direction

3) You have time for a smooth mount and well executed shot. It is easier than Int'l Skeet.

4) You start with very little muscle tension. You can practice all this at home. Gun fit is important. Canted recoil pads and the like complicate things

In starting gun up, many freeze up their muscles and have a poor swing.

regards

11. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I have tried this myself, and my scores were not too bad...in the 23/25 range, using a field stocked Remington 1100. But, if you want to shoot trap at a high level (AA), this style of shooting will not take you there.

Jef

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

mike, my mentor also shot with a style where the gun was just infront of his shoulder, uncheeked and when he called for the target both found their place.

13. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I asked Roger Steinbring in Florida many years ago if he put his head on the gun and he shot so fast I don't think he really thought about his face on the gun. After i asked him, he promptly missed the first target on the next hundred for either a 198 or 199. He used to shot Super Handicap #9's for singles and just left ink balls. He was a nice guy ( deceased) and I enjoyed shooting with him. His brother Morris is pretty good too.

Charlie

14. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

twostraight, you are thinking of Bob Redfield from Cloquet MN. Bob shot with his gun placed on his chest, lots of gun swing as he called for his target- he did not miss too many! He was also a decorated Air Force pilot.

15. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Dan Bonillas certainly has to be considered when you talk about the greatest trapshooters ever. In the 70's he used to call for the target while raising the gun to his cheek.

When I saw he shoot again in the late 90's he wasn't doing that anymore.

16. Hollywood Marine

Hollywood Marine TS Member

I have a friend, Dave McCracken, who is not an ATA member, but regularly breaks 24-25 from gun down in informal shooting. Dave is, of course a long time bird hunter, and does well at skeet and sporting clays as well. He was also the senior shotgun instructor for the Maryland Department of Corrections before his retirement, and is one of the most knowledgable people I know on the subject of scatterguns in general.
    Doug Humble

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.