1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting glasses...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jlesley, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Thoughts on a reasonably priced pair of shooting glasses $30-40, non-prescription with target orange lens, are there some out there like that? Thanks... Jill
  2. KeepWoodOnWood

KeepWoodOnWood Member

Aug 17, 2008
    I like my ESS ICE system. I use a prescription insert when shooting trap, and take it out when I use my contacts for handgun shooting. They're reasonably priced and the US Military uses them. Looks like the price went up on them, though and they may be more than you are looking to pay. I bought mine last year during the Black Monday sales and they were about half price with free shipping.

3. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Jill, be mindful of the material, also your field of view. Often, you can try on a pair in the store and they seem fine. Then, when you mount your gun, the lens holders or top of frame is in your field of view and distracting or interfering with your sight lines.

Many folks like economic shooting glasses, but think about saving your money up for a good, recognized pair with suitable impact material lenses, interchangeble colors, and a nice field of vision for your gun mount. Your face width, ear piece length and eye position adjusments are also factors that don't get good attention with lower prices glasses

A good pair of shooting glasses will last you for many years, enhance your safety and scores, and you may only need one or two colors.

Go to a big shoot and try on different pairs, fits and colors. Also, use the search thread here and read away.

Yes, a cheap pair is better than nothing, but look around. Your eyes and vision is such a key to the shooting sports, make sure you spend appropriatly. Next to your gun fit, glasses are the next most important item, I think. You have to see right to shoot right and enjoy !!

good luck

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Jill Check out the Beretta Shields. They come in different colors and have a ladies/childs size as well. The persimmon is a reddish brown and really makes an orange target stand out. They are a wrap around with a rubber 2 piece ventilated nose piece which tends to come apart / loose sometimes which is the only real fault I ever found with them. They run between 25 (e-bay, discount house) and 35 (retail from Beretta) dollars.

--- Chip King ---
  5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Prairie State
    Follow Jack's advice, borrow a couple pair to see what you like and what lens colors work for you... and ask yourself the question... "how important are my eyes to me?!"

This is the one item you don't want to overpay, but definitely don't chintz.

Again as Jack mentioned, buy good quality polycarb lenses from a well recognized vendor, making an investment to protect and enhance your sight - I would also add, get lenses large enough to fully cover the entire orbit of your eyes and get the colors that really work for you...

Any number of vendors on here, plus Morgan Optical etc...

The $75-100 extra you spend today will last for your entire shooting lifetime... how much are those extra couple dollars a year worth to you in piece of mind?!

respectfully offered,

Jay Spitz
  6. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Jan 29, 1998
    try ray McKissick in PA. He is really good and fair priced. (800) 533-1778
  7. 257 ackley

257 ackley Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I love the Beretta Shield. The perismimmon lense is one of the best color I've used......and cost $12.00

8. 17145

17145 TS Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Take into consideration your prescription, you might not need corrective lenses now, but you will when you get older. Everybodys eyes go bad with age, you cant stop the aging process. I just had Lasik eye surgery and I'm waiting for my eyes to completely heal before I make a purchase.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

target orange trap shooting glasses