1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Glasses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by W. Dan, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W. Dan

W. Dan TS Member

Several months ago I started to see what I refer to has a hailo left of the mid bead and bead at the end of the barrel. Went to the optometrist who found I needed a correction in both eyes. I'm near sighted right eye dominant but shoot with both eyes open. Got new glasses, progressive lenses, in photo grey which work fine, no halo effect. Bought new shooting glasses but now have hailo back. The shooting glasses are being reworked with correction being moved more to the left in the right lens.

Have any of the shooters on this board ever had a similar problem and if you did what did you do? Do any of you know of an optometrist who shoots trap that I could contact?

Any suggestions or help would really be appreciated.

2. m-man

m-man TS Member

Hey W. Dan, im not trying to hijack your thread, but can you explain how the shooting glasses work, is it just that they are designed to make the target stand out more, i haven't ever worn any, but i see a lot of guys using them
    are they very expensive?

i sometimes get that halo effect but i wear contacts, don't know if that's different.

3. W. Dan

W. Dan TS Member

M-MAN,

I'm a new shooter so I'm probably not the most informed person to answer your question. You're right, shooting glasses as a rule are intended to enhance target color as well as aid a shooter's vision in different light conditions. Here in Arizona many shooters use bronze tinting to mitigate the strong desert light and provide orange target enhancement.

I'm near sighted so my shooting glasses, a medium bronze color, have my prescription. The halo effect I'm getting becomes more pronounced the longer I stare down the barrel so I'm taking a quick look to make sure I have the beads in a figure eight and then immediately go to a soft focus between the trap house and fifty yard stake. Hopefully this is just a temporary work around.

In your case I'm not sure if you opt to use shooting glasses which would be best, contacts with glasses or prescription glasses. There's some good interchangeable tinted lens available you can buy and try for a lot less than prescription glasses which is what I'd do.

There board is an excellent resource with many seasoned shooter willing to share advise. Given the large number of contact and or glasses wearers shooting you'd think this issue isn't uncommon with remedies found.

4. Mojo

Mojo Member

You are bead checking...to begin with. Do not check your bead alignment before you shoot. Do that at home a 100 times a day before you go shoot. Make adjustments in ytou set up to get it perfect everytime. Then when out on the
    trap field - Find a spot on the horizon just above the traphouse and stay focused on that before you call for the target. Forget those beads....!

5. W. Dan

W. Dan TS Member

Thanks for the suggeston Mojo, I'll give it a try on Friday.

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.