1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting glasses

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tuscarora 99, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Hello everybody, I was in the market for a pair of shooting glasses. I was looking at the Randolph Engineering Rangers, and i was wanted to know which is better the rangers, ranger xl, or ranger xlw. I was also wondering about the CMT lenses? Anybody shoot those lenses?

2. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Are the CMT's used just for very bright days?

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The ranger XLs I like a lot. The CMT lense are very good also. I like them for very bright days with lots of glare. The offer a good amount of eye relief. I prefer the light gray and yellow tints for most other conditions. The vermillion works well for me with close green/dark back ground. You need to try different tints for your own liking. The XLWs well they do not have adjustable nose piece, also the center where the lenses come together is in my view compared to the XLs. TRY TRY TRY. gotta be a few gents around that will let you try. Also a good time to see if they have lenses they just dont use?

4. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

What lenses would be best for a sunny day with a sky background?

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

try this, generic chart might get you in the right starting points. for me its CMT pale yellow purple and vermillion. I have a older pair of light grey/green tint that also work great all around. They are a bit smaller and I feel like Im looking under the bridge of the frame. With the ranger XL I do not have that problem.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I prefer the traditional Ranger. In my opinion bigger lenses equate to better protection of the orbit of the eye.

Whether you choose standard or XL should depend upon your test try of both frames to determine if the standard frame sets well on your nose in relation to your eyes OR if you require adjustment to fit.

Your eyes have their own sensitivity to light and color and as has been said, try before you buy. That said, CMTs are great for enhancing orange - that is what they do. I have found the purples will do a good job against an open sky. I recently had Wayne Morgan cut me a plano pair of brown polarized lenses he recently began offering for open sky and they worked great.

Good price point, great product and Morgan Optical is a terrific vendor.

Jay

7. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

This may be a dumb question to ask, particularly on a trapshooting board, but I wonder which tint is best to see BLACK targets thrown with trees as a background?

I shoot a lot of sporting clays and they often throw targets that have the (black) bottom of the target facing the shooter. If the target is above the treeline and silhouetted against the sky, that's not too hard to see, but if it is below the treeline, then it's darn hard to see a black target against the dark brown and dark green background.

Any suggestions........other than hit the target setter up side the head with a 2x4?

;-)

Easystreet

8. nipper

nipper TS Member

The cmt lenses make orange and red come out like they are on fire for me,the difference is the w's are a wrap around type frame.

Bill

9. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I like the sporter frames, bought several of the colored clip-ons. I use the yellow on overcast and Vermillion other times. The clip ons also allow you to try another color without buying and when new perscription time comes you just replace one set of lenses, purchased mine from Morgan. Jake

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Easy:

I think the 2x4 is the right Rx for that target presentation! (lol) There is no enhancement for "Black" which is technically an "absence" of all color.

Jay

11. Surfside6

Surfside6 TS Member

tuscarora 99,
    I purchased Ranger glasses this year. I got the cmt, vermillion, yellow and purple. I use the cmt 95% of the time. The cmt makes orange really stand out. Tom

12. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Thanks to all for the help. I think im gonna get the original rangers with cmt and vermillion and light purple and medium yellow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.