1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Glasses

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigdogtx, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Son is just starting trap shooting and I want to help in the right way. Should he use his own sunglasses, inexpensive shooting glasses (which color) or some of the DeCot or Ranger with flat lenses and interchangable lenses?

Curved lenses....good/bad/indifferent.

Thanks. Jim

2. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I use inexpensive clear shooting glasses but, I mostly shoot at night. When I shoot during the day I have a pair of Oakley M-Frames I use that I bought for work several years ago.

3. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Decots. Start him off right. Jake

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

boxdogtx send me your email. i have a used pair of decot glasses.

5. JRD

JRD TS Member

Get a pair of real shooting glasses, they make a huge differance.

6. Kory72

Kory72 TS Member

go with the rangers.

7. southpark

southpark TS Member

I've been really happy with Ranger XLs.

When I got them I went to get an eye exam. I have allergy trouble, had not slept and my eyes were beat red and sore so I hit them with some eye drops. The optometrist said it wouldn't matter for the exam.

I was given a heavy prescription and had Morgan fill it.

I had never worn glasses (prescription) before, and have always been hyper senstitive to bright light, by the way.

I shot like that for a year and had all sorts of trouble. Things would look kinda clear, but kinda funny too. I had a lot of depth perception trouble and often had trouble stepping up steps and curbs.

Finally saw Allan Lehman's, from Arizona, trailer at a shoot and a friend said to go see him about my glasses.

So I chatted with Mr. Lehman and told him of my troubles. Finally he got out the eye chart and had me read the letters and spot other things after taking me outside, etc. etc.

Finally he said "I know your problem." I was pretty excited to hear that so I asked what it was. "You've got 20/20 vision." Well that was later confirmed with a fuller exam (looking through the whatchamacallit device, etc.

He not only hooked me up with plano lenses but had his shop make custom colour brown/orange lenses for me that are polarized. Fanfreakingtastic. Seriously. No one has lenses quite like this. For me, suffering in bright light, they have been godsends. I not only have comfort, but I have proper depth of field, and orange targets just jump out at you.

I'm pretty sure that Lehman Optical has some lenses that nobody else has.

I also have a big head, also metaphorically for those about to make a comment about it, and the Ranger XL's were able to fit over my ears and give me enough side coverage to protect my eyes from too much light.

I did buy two Decot hard cases though, and the Rangers fit pretty well, even with the blinders still on.

Lehman can be a little gruff, but he really, really helped me and I would not hessitate to recommend him.

One of these is bound to be current:

Allan Lehman Optical
    690 S. Glendun Pl.
    Dewey, AZ 86327
    Tel: 800-255-0205 928-632-0069
    Fax: 928-632-0049
    Est: 1975

Allan Lehman Optical
    1018 E. Indian School Road
    Phoenix, AZ 85014-4810View Map
    (602) 279-6161

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

24str8,

You are correct that he does not do any prescription. Motordoctor had green lenses. Are these good? In what light conditions?

Thanks to all for your help. Jim

9. TREE

TREE TS Member

Post 4 I sure love mine

10. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

A wonderful man named Big Dave from PA was kind enough to send me a pair of Decot's he no longer wanted. I bought some of the light purple lenses for bright daylight and it's been the best thing ever. Dave, that was the nicest thing anyone ever did for me!! I look forward to thanking you in person at the Millington shoot in May (Delaware state shoot)

11. leadvail

leadvail Member

Decot . V-Lite 2 .Check them out online .

12. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

For prescription wearers Ranger has a sporter frame that accepts clip on color lens. They are terrific ! The color clip ons sell for about $50.00 and when the Rx is renewed you only have to by one set of lens. Purchased mine from Morgan and am a happy shooter. Jake

13. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

Allan Lehman is The Man for shooting optics. Call him and tell him what you want to accomplish. He's great.

14. idoc

idoc Member

Jim,

Have Motordoc send me the frame and I will put a new set of Rangers in the frame for the boy. Vermilion or Target Orange. Glad to help..........Rich

Richard J Colo O.D.
    Suffield Medical Center
    162 Mountain Road
    Suffield, Ct. 06078

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.