1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Glasses ...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lumper, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumper

lumper TS Member

Okey Dokey ... I think it might be time to step up to some regular shooting glasses with the cool changeable lenses so I can change the color for various light conditions and such but ... yeah there is always a but ... since I wear prescription glasses to see this limits my funds since a prescription insert can be a little pricey when ya step up to the ultra thin lens to keep the overall weight down.

Now for the question at hand ... to help keep overall cost down I would like to limit a purchase to only maybe 2 or 3 or 4 at max lens colors but have no real clue as to which color would be best for what situation so ... nows your chance to speak up ... what color is best overall and what color is best on a real bright day and what color is best on a overcast day and what color is best on a ... well ... dont say totally black like Ray Charles either cause I already sometimes shoot like a blind man without black sunglasses.

2. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Look at the Ranger line of glasses from Morgan optical.They will help you with any questions you have on lens color also.

3. mirage1

mirage1 Member

Get on the decot website-they actually can show what each lense offers
    under each light condition.

4. AlanM

AlanM Member

Take the advise of Doc Rively, and look through the different colors and see which is best for your eyes. By that I mean which color gives you the best looking target and brightest color.
    Good luck on your search.

Alan

5. oletymer

oletymer Member

I use Decot prescrition 70 gray polarized for sun and clear for dark overcast or night shooting. There are all kinds of opinions about like 7 1/2s or 8s. Don't waste the money on bifocals if you use them, distance is what counts for shotgun sports.

6. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I've got a pair of Ranger XLs, and I use #52 yellow for overcast days, #47 light purple for sunny/hazy days, or when backgrounds are "woodsy", and #44 brown for sunny days. All lenses are single prescription set for distance focus. The #52 yellow lens also works well for night driving.
    Andy

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Consider the Ranger "sporter" frame. One set of Rx lenses with clip on plano lenses.. maybe an option?!

Jay

8. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Having bought 'way too many different colors wasting time, money, and targets, on them, 20 years experience has led me to two sets of lenses: 1. clear with anti-reflective coating (use on overcast days, evenings, or under the lights) and 2. a medium brown/bronze with a tinge of vermillion in them (Decot calls them "Autumn" but try several versions of this). Avoid very light colored lenses (won't help in bright sunlight) or very dark shades - the more light striking your eye, the sharper the focus. Forget the variety of colors (heck, I used to change lenses between rounds - stupid). Get a clear and medium colored lens and then concentrate on looking at the targets. Best Regards, Ed

9. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

What is the feed back on Hidefspecs, they have just recently arrived here in Australia

Argus

10. nicky

nicky Member

Hi Lump, I've got 10 different len's and the ones I wear the most are my decot light bronze and my optimiser lens from Frank Rively. The bronze, to me works best in most all conditions, sky, green background, haze, just a good all around lens color. The optimiser lens is a special lens color that he came up with. It has hardly a hint of orange with other colors mixed in it, almost a clear very good in low light conditions. Most of the other len's just stay in the case and never get used.

Still here, haven't moved yet, got a month to decide, Kevin

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Kevin ... hurry up and decide? The season starts in a month or even less now doesn't it? If you do go will you be gone by mid May ... I will be up in the Boig for sure sometime mid/late may but dont know if I will have time to shoot.

Now for the original topic of this thread ... I wonder if it would just be best to get a single all around color prescription set of shooting glasses instead of multiple lenses with a prescription insert ... heck ... why do that at all ... currently I've got a built in excuse that the targets I miss is because of not having shooting glasses so why change a perfectly good excuse?

12. nicky

nicky Member

Lumper where is Boig at ? You got me scratch'en my head on that one.

Kevin

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

Pittsburgh = Da'Boig

14. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

Lumper! If your interested in a set of glasses please email me, I would suggest a LTO or a gold 15 as a light color, the new post4 vilot glow as a mid color, and the purple passion as your dark color from post4, great colors!!!!

Lumper email me at thomasahoppe@netzero.com
    I have another question for you..........Tom

15. bling 27

bling 27 Member

Post 4 orange glow works great for me in my rx. I believe the father and son that own this company are both trapshooters. I called them, asked for there opinion on color, gave them credit card info, faxed my rx to them and had my shooting glasses in a short time. Great people to deal with. Wayne

16. kie95

kie95 Member

If you call Decot and ask they will send you some samples of different colors,

this helped me choose.

17. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Lumper;

I bought my Decot Hy-Wyd's two years ago with a single set of the non-prescription (plano) V-Lite Rose lenses in the Lite #10 shade, which is the lightest shade of Rose V-Lites. They also have the V-Light Rose colored lenses in Light Medium (#1) Med. (#2, which you can also get polarized), and Dark (#3) tints. Over two years, I used the Lite #10's exclusively in all seasons, and in all weather conditions, and I have not needed or wanted lenses in another shade. - JoeBerg

18. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Lumper, I would suggest contacting Tom Hoppe for your shooting glasses. Tom does a wonderful job in fitting you with the right glasses. I'm very happy with my Post 4's, I purchased for Tom. I got two set of lenses ( light target orange and vermillion ) at a very competitive price. Good Luck!

Rick Brohmer

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Lumper- All we can give you are personal opinions. My opinion is the same as the one posted by Ed (BigTuna) above. He likes the color Autumn, I like target bronze for shooting and dark target bronze for driving. I use an extra pair of shooting glasses when I am driving.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.