1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Glasses

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JRD, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRD

JRD TS Member

Looking to buy a new pair of shooting glasses. What brand would you reccomend? I would like to get something with a little smaller lense. Not as big around as most of them. Alot of the glasses I have seen and tried feel big and bulky, and I'm trying to stay away from that. Thanks for the help.

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I cannot possibly shoot without the large lens Decot type shooting glasses. When I mount a shotgun with my everyday bifocals I'm looking through the very left upper corner of the right lens. With the shooting glasses frame and the optical centers higher and offset to the left, I can see the targets. Size does matter!

3. marine_0341

marine_0341 TS Member

get oakleys

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I know what Mike is saying about the larger lenses. However, Decot makes a Sporting pair of glasses that can be used for everyday wear and for shooting. They have a system where you can raise the bridge of the glasses during shooting and lower the bridge for everyday wear. I am thinking about getting a pair of these. Has anyone tried these type of glasses from Decot?? Ed

5. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Check out the new Sporting Frames from Ranger. They have a clip on color so when its time for new Rx you buy the clear only. Call the folks at Morgan Optical, they are great to work with. Jake

6. texan4life

texan4life TS Member

Have you looked at Sunbuster? They have 2 styles for smaller frames.

Try this:
    http://www.sunbuster.info/

7. washandwear

washandwear Member

JRD

I like the Zeiss/Scopz - high quality with smaller lens but adjustable nose clip. Several pair listed on ebay - search shooting glasses or zeiss

8. biggreen

biggreen TS Member

Rangers come in 66mm as well as 68.
    You can get Post 4 in a 62 mm

9. idoc

idoc Member

JRD,

The sporter frame from Ranger is a excellent choice. It comes 62 mm. The big point is it is in polycarbonate instead or regular plastic. Stay away from anything that is CR-39. With no Rx you won't find any problem with the clarity through the poly. A material that is still Safety and of a higher ABBE Value (translated into better clarity) is NXT. NXT is a type of Trivex (corporateportal.ppg.com/NA/chemicals/Optical/Trivex/) also (213.26.189.36/interno/desbe.html). I believe this is the future of shooting lenses. Right now there are a few companies using the material. Rudy Project is one and Hidefspex is another. Hidefspex just came out with a Frame last month called the Sebring. I would think that lens at 40% would be ideal. (hidefspex.com). Hope this helps.........................Rich

10. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Do you need planos or prescription lenses?

I have the Decot planos, since I wear contact lenses, but I like the big 69mm lenses, and the frames fit my big head much better than any other pair of glasses I've owned. I like them so much, I'm seriosly thinking of getting another set of Decot frames with prescription lenses to wear when my contacts are out.

If I needed prescription lenses, I'd be inclined to seek out an optician that can fit glasses for sportsmen.

I think a good quality set of shooting glasses (i.e., Ranger, Decot, and Post4), with the correct lens color, make all the difference in seeing and focusing on targets properly.

11. POWDER RIVER

POWDER RIVER TS Member

POST 4-They stand behind their product with 100% warranty.

12. jorgie

jorgie TS Member

nyx from Ear Inc in Boulder CO are the best for the money as far as I am concerned. Jorgie.

13. shootsome

shootsome Member

I've found that Lehman Optical stands behind their glasses better than Decot if you have a problem with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.