1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting glasses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hdbrs, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

where do you guys buy your shooting glasses and do they really help. most of the better shooters seem to wear them if not all of them. i did a quick look around the webz but could only seem to find them in the 3-7 hundred dollar range. i don't like buying cheap but i was figuring 200 would get me a top quality pair. i can't see paying more than that for glasses. what colors work best for you guys. thanks ben

2. daveship

daveship Member

Randolph engineering

3. Dukefan

Dukefan K-80 Trap Special TS Supporters

I am new to trap shooting. I am 57 years old and wear progressive bifocals in my everyday glasses. Not crazy about the progessives. I don't care for the distortion at the edges. I got some good advice on this website and contacted Wayne at Morgan Optical. Wayne is very knowledgeable. Because I wear bifocals I did not want a wrap frame or lens because of possible distortion. I got the sporter frame with the small round bifocal in the bottom of the lens. The quality of the glasses and customer service is excellent. Delivery was fast! I got the clip on shades in purple and the HD lens. Very happy with the purchase. I paid 400.00 for everything. Well worth it in my opinion! Give him a call and see what he can offer. You won't be dissapointed. Dominick

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

We need more info inorder to answer your question. Are perscription lenses needed? What is your distance perscription? Do you wear contacts? HMB

5. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Look no further. Call Wayne Morgan....(1) 800 594 0175...SMOKIT

6. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

sorry about that but no i don't wear prescription glasses or contacts.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Then you can save a bunch of money by buying a used pair of Hy Wyd Decots on line. You can buy the frames and add more lenses later. HMB

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Another vote for Morgan Optical. I don't wear prescription lenses but they are still very helpful in helping you select the right lenses for the right shooting conditions and backgrounds.

I also bought some very nice custom colored lenses from L&M Lenses. Very nice people and will make any color for any frame you need.

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have found that Harold and Wayne Morgan are very inventive folks. I mentioned in a column that my aging eyes could no longer bring my handgun sights into clear focus without using lenses so strong that the bullseye targets looked like blurry, fuzzy footballs standing on end. They told me they thought they could make lenses for me that would bring both items into focus and while I thought that was imnpossible, I gave them the information they wanted - current glasses Rx, distance at which I usually shot and so forth. Several months later, I have range glasses that actually do bring both objects into about 95% clear focus!

Ed

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Ed,

You can use your distance lens and place an adjustable aperture on your glasses. You can bring both objects into focus by adjusting the aperture hole. HMB

11. broadwaybill

broadwaybill Member

I have been using decot hy wide for a little over thirty years.A great product along with great customer service.

Fifteen two and a pair is four

Bill

12. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Call Steve Maltzahn (641)782-8464. He has a lens that adjusts auto for
    the light conditions. Should be less that $200.
    Gary

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

HMB, a shooting buddy showed me that trick years ago but for some reason, it doesn't work as well for me as it does for others. The sights appear to be "hairy" and I can't determine where the sight itself ends and the "hair" starts. I have a weird eye problem - Post Vitreous Detachment - that has screwed up my trapshooting, too.

Ed

14. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

Check out L & M Lenses one of our advertisers.

I got his all American frames and love them, customer service is also great

Scott

15. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

www.csmcspecials.com I have a friend buy a set of shooting glasses from this company and he said they were very good for the price. $155.00 for frames, 10 or 12 sets for lens and carrying case.

Ed Fish
    Racine, Wi

16. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of Calabria sunglasses that fit over my new progressive prescription glasses. Non breakable polycarbonate. $12.99 online at Speert.com. They fit perfect and I see the target as well as I did with my shooting glasses.

17. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Like anything else, you get what you pay for...

I've been working with Wayne @ Morgan Optical for almost 15 years. You pay a going rate for a top quality frame from Randolph Engineering with a great guarantee and for no extra dough, you get top-quality service at the time of sale and thereafter - what is that worth?!... it's priceless.

Dozens of my guys have bought frame sets from Morgan and Randolph... Rangers, XLWs, Sporters, and now the Edges... plano and Rx...

Great product and support coupled with fair pricing and years of expertise...

Don't be pennywise and pound foolish...

Respectfully offered,

Jay Spitz

18. mike calkins

mike calkins TS Member

I have used titanium post 4 for years and years. They have been excellent. The price is right and service is outstanding, Mike

19. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

I find all those mentioned too big for my tastes and my rx. I use the "rudy project" interchangeble frame and lenses with an rx adaptor.

If you buy, search for coupons for up 20% off. A frame, 4 lenses, and the rx adapter with rx lenses plus shipping was abour $240.

20. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I wasn't joking about my 12.99 Calabria fitover sunglasses. (well, maybe joking a little) I have been using the NYX glasses with a prescription insert for
    about 7 years - after wearing Decots for years before that.

I'm still using them but I wanted to get a prescription insert with progressive lens, and they want $300 for that. I got the cheap sunglasses to wear over my regular glasses as a backup in case I didn't have my shooting glasses with me.

Except for looking "dorky" (more than usual) they actually work better
    than my shooting glasses. I'll still use my NYX, but I can just as well
    use my regular glasses with the Calabria over them.

Sure makes more sense than paying $700 for those stupid looking Pilla's!
    Now, if I can just get Leo and Harlan to start wearing them..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting glasses