1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting glasses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jayusmc, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayusmc

Jayusmc TS Member

can any of you fellow trap shooters recommend shooting glasses Brand or Mfg.
    . I have been told that Orange lenses are the best all around color.
    .I rather use one color lense then switching and changing . After fifty one years of marriage if I start switching and changing now I might just "go for broke" and wind up broke. Funny that the US Marines Corps never issued us colored glasses? T hanks to all you fellows shooter! God bless this country Rember we need a "President in the White House not a Resident""

2. revbook

revbook Member

I have the Decot Hy Wides and like them a lot. I bought the light yellow and the light purple lenses but find I wear the yellow most of the time.

Don in PA

3. ky4some

ky4some Member

Believe it or not I use a pair of orange lens glasses from Smith and Wesson. Bought them on their web site for about $12.00. Also got a pair of clear and amber. These are great glasses for the money. I've compaired them to the Decot's and don't see a difference in clarity.

Mike Kamer

4. SlickmisterN

SlickmisterN TS Member

Im going to throw out the interchangeable lens Oatkley models. VR28, H.I. Persimmon, G20/26/30 iridiums are all fantastic tints for shooting orange clays and their optics are truly contrast enhancing. I went with half jackets, vr28, hi persimmon, and vr28 black iridium lenses, but wish I had saved up and got the radar model with the G20 black iridium instead of the vr28 black iridium.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I ride my bike with those Oakleys in Black Iridium- they are very very dark

I would think you would be giving up several targets using such a set

Generally the lightest shade you can use- the better your vision of the target.

Some shades help some people highlight the target against the background better. Trial and Error

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Anything "all around" is a compromise... you're married 51 years and 70 years of age (+/-) so I don't see you changing your ways... but you have opinions and so do I...

Buy a 3-lens set from Randolph - they made avaitors for the military for years and are well respected - Ranger Classic 3-lens set might cost you @$175. Frame has a lifetime guarantee. Lens choice...

a "yellow" for flat light/indoor/night shooting... (3 options)

an orange/blue blocker or Vermillion to enhance clays during the day in partly sunny or full sun... (3 choices)

a bronze/dark purple for the absolute brightest conditions... (3 choices)

That would be my starter 3-lens set... cvan you borrow a set to try how easy it is to change lenses and the ability to improve seeing the target using color?! Take a set for a test drive...

Jay

7. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

IMO- nearly any color will work on a sunny day, I have trouble with a green background on a cloudy day. I have 7 Decot colors & don't like any of them. So far my Maui Jim's work the best. Just tried my new Post 4 in desert glow last night, seemed allright. FYI- I had a good conversation with Mike at Post 4 about colors.

8. SlickmisterN

SlickmisterN TS Member

G77777777

I don't think we're talking about the same lenses. The darkest I have is the vr28 black iridium and that just barely cuts it on the bright days. Vr28 is good for medium light and the hi persimmon makes the targets pop and glow in low flat light. Best!

9. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

The Connecticut Shotgun Mfg Co. (www.csmspecial.com) as a pair of shooting glasses with 13 different interchangeable color lens for $115.00. Can't go wrong if you want to try different color lens. One one shooting teammates brought a pair and he really likes them.

Ed Fish
    Racine, WI

10. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

Wrong address for Connecticut should be csmspecials.com. Missed the last "s".

11. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

call 1-800-248-9991 clear target optics co. steve maltzahn he sells post 4 brand glasses he has a transition lense that will darken and lighten many posters on this site have ordered them and i have a pair that i am very happy with 1 lense in gold that will change and a very good guy to deal with. bob mctaggart

12. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I have post4optics and like them. 3 lenses set is about $210. My son has Hidefspecs and loves them. But they are very expensive, around $500. Depends on your willingness to spend but for around 200 I like post4 and Rangers.

13. RemingtonReloader

RemingtonReloader TS Member

I like my older Remington Premier STS's. -Aaron Schneider

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I bought the Randolph Ranger (3) lense set for $165 a few years ago. I have nothing but good things to say about them. My preferred colors are Dk Purple and Vermillion.

15. TrapperP2005

TrapperP2005 Member

I use pilla pumas. Truthfully one lens won't work for every scenario. They offer a three lens set which is perfect for anytime of the day. If you call them, they will ask some questions about what time of day and backgrounds you typically shoot and will pick a set based on that. Very good customer service! On the pricey side but well worth it. No worrying about fitment because theyre fully adjustable. ( that's with all of their models)

Jordan

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Have tried those Pillas on a number of times. If not for the money, I'd own 'em. They are the most comfortable glasses I have tried on. They also are very clear.

17. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Anyone wear the Decot Revel? I use Rangers myself and have been very happy. It took a while to find the "just right" lenses. For me that turned out to be the Blue Ice lenses for Decots. It works great on green and Orange targets. I think there is a bit of something in them that brings out Orange.

It is just a good fit for my eyes on all but low light, then I switch to clear. I'd like to try the Revels for a general pair of sunglasses, I like the option to switch tints for activities like flying.

18. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Rudy Project Rydons with RX (-4x) insert/adapter work for me.

Have laser copper fro bright days, and racing red for most others - ther orange targets really light up. Have golf green and laser blue lenses for green targets in bright and overcast days respectively....

19. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

I tried the Pilla Puma, and finally went back to Hy-Wyds. The Pilla lenses are very clear but they fog easily in humid weather and do not sit far enough away from your face to avoid smudging. I have the RX insert which makes them heavier to the point that they are constantly slipping down on my nose. The Puma frame is the only one that will accept blinders, but they are small and don't extend far enough to the front. I see very few trapshooters using them; they seem to be much more popular with skeet and sporting shooters.

Pilla has lots of marketing gimmicks and escellent customer service, but for practical application I think that Decots are hard to beat.

20. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

There are limits to how far blinders can extend in international shooting. I would assume that the Pilla glasses are made to conform with those rules. In ATA shooting we like to have much larger blinders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best color lenses for trap shooting
best shooting glasses for trap
best trap shooting glasses
shooting glasses with interchangeable lenses
shotgun shooting glasses
trap glasses

trap shooting glasses

trap shooting glasses interchangeable lenses