1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting glasses

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by highview72, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highview72

highview72 TS Member

Forgive my ignorance but im a newbie. I see shooters wearing the yellow lens shooting glasses at the range. Does this help pick up the clay faster because of the yellow tint? What do you people who wear regular glasses use?
    Thanks, Mark

2. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

Wally world has a polarized sun glass that will fit over your glasses that help sometimes, but I have yet to find a colored set, I wish I could.

Bill

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

the link above is a good reference for what color does what.

brett d.

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Yellow glasses make everything seem brighter. Orange glasses increase contrast of the target more than the background, and are a better all round choice for trap shooting. Medium Target Orange is a good color to start with. If your eyes are light sensitive, you might try a Light Target Orange for night and low light conditions and Target Orange for bright light. The darker tints are available in polarized.

Everyone has different color sensitivities, so the best thing you can do before buying a billion colors trying to find the right one is go to a large shoot. There you will find vendors selling glasses and lenses. You can try out all the colors and tints and decide on a second or third pair then.

For now, you need a pair of shooting glasses for protection. Buy a Beretta set for $20, or one of the other less expensive Orange shooting glasses. Later, when you decide what colors work for you you can spring for one of the primo sets (especially if you need perscription glasses).

5. Old Ranger

Old Ranger Member

You can buy a set of Decot or Ranger shooting glasses which usually come with three sets of plain lenses in different colors of your choice. This should cost $125 to $150. You can get a set of perscription lenses made that will fit these frames for $50 to $60. Be sure, however, that you go to an optician who knows about shooting glasses (the focus is much higher on the shooting glasses than it is on your regular glasses). I can give you the name of an optician here in Pittsburgh, but you'll probably want to find one close to home.

6. highview72

highview72 TS Member

Thnaks for all the help guys. This site really help shorten the learning curve.

7. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Funny thing, I researched shooting glasses and bought 2 or 3 different pair in various colors tried them all out. My experience is that when I use a color like yellow or orange, etc, it makes me feel like I'm in a dream state; everything I see appears somewhat surreal. Last week, I forgot my shooting glasses and shot 2 rounds for the first time with my regular 1.25X non-prescription reading glasses, Wow! Everything looked normal and was clear as a bell, and I shot the best two rounds of my limited trap career. Is it possible that the magnification helped? Does it make the bird appear bigger? The only thing that I did noticed was that now I could clearly see both my beads.

Hawk,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.