1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting glasses with inserts ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hardcsh, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hardcsh

Hardcsh Member

I currently use Decot with the script in the glasses with a small fingernail bifocal at the bottom. I am ordering new glasses and I am considering glasses with a script and using a prescription insert. Since I have never use an insert, I am anxious about ordering them. Does anyone have any advise?

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Hardcsh... I tried just what you are talking about. I found two major things that made me give them up. First, they were very heavy and uncomfortable to wear after about 30 minutes. Second, mine had a tendency to fog up between the lenses and the insert quite frequently. Just not worth the cost and aggravation to me. I went back to my Decot's and am glad I did... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. todman2

todman2 Member

I was in the same boat with the decots which are great glasses. My eye doctor proved to me in an eye exam how much better I would see with scrip glasses instead of contact lens. I choose the Rangle XLW glasses which are made to have an insert mounted inside the frame.

After 2 years still using them I am still a fan and happy with my choice. If my scrip changes all I have to do is have a new lens installed on the insert.

I used MORGAN OPTICAL, take a look at their website it has info about these glasses. Also the Range Website is helpful.

Good Luck

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You might consider the NYX glasses with a prescription insert. I have been using them for about 8 years. The frames are about $22 and each polycarbonate
    lens is about $20.I have one polaroid amber lens about several others, purple
    vermillion,target orange,and clear.

The prescription insert is small, about like a pair of reading glasses. Mine has
    a small bifocal as well. Total cost about $170. These glasses are very light
    and sit close to the face like regular sunglasses. You don't have to worry about the focal center, they don't interfer with the gun mount, the bifocal isn't in view when you're shooting, and they're fine for all around use.

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I think you are always better off with a single lens system but I shoot a number of different disciplines under different conditions and I can't afford the colors for prescription in a single lens system. I went with Ranger XLW's from Morgan Optical. I'm not bothered by the weight. I don't think this is the ultimate system but it gets the job done well enough. I need to order some purple lenses.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Working with Wayne Morgan, I set up a couple of my members with both the Ranger Sporter with clip-ons and the XLW with the insert... Each had their own reason for picking the style they did, but both are very happy with the ones they chose...

Wayne just sent me a set of "press-on" magnifiers for my shooting glasses... nice alternative to building in a bi-focal...

FYI... my $0.02,

Jay

7. gotbass

gotbass Member

Another big plus vote for NYX. I have my Rx in a progressive in them and they are great. I could not afford to have the lenes for the number of colors I have and have new Rx lenses every year or two. Had Post 4 before and nothing wrong with them but NYX works better for me.

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I also had the XLW and did not like them. As mentioned above they are to heavy and with the curve of them the vision always seemed distorted. Glad I went back to the XL.

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I tried the NYX and did not like them. They fogged up easily and the prescription insert is too small. The fogging up is due to the frame/lenses setting too close to my eyebrows/forehead.

10. shaggist

shaggist Member

Here's another vote for the NYX Sports Vision System. I got mine with the prescription insert and I like them so much that I became a dealer for them here in the SE US. They are light weight, don't fog with me and I perspire alot when it's hot, and I have a choice of 23 colors and tints, although I think only 11 colors are really useful for shooting sports.

If you get the proper frame, and, for most men, that is the CARBON frame, its curvature doesn't hug your face and the nose piece sets the glasses out from your face, so that air can circulate behing them. I shot with them in 94 degree weather with high humidity here in NC this past summer, and I had no fogging problem at all, although my shorts were dripping sweat off the bottom of the legs.

The interchangeable lens glasses that NYX offers are the ARROW (2 piece lenses), the CLASSIC COMPETITION (2 piece lenses), the CARBON PRO (one piece lens and too tight a curvature), and the CARBON (one piece lens), which should be just right for most adult male shooters. If you are one of those shooters who can fog up anything, I also sell Oakley Antifog, which I am told works well, although no one who has bought NYX glasses from me has needed it yet.

If you have questions about these glasses, give me a call and I'll answer them for you. I wanted prescription corrected shooting glasses with a variety of color and tint choices that were light weight and affordable, and I found them in the NYX system. My SS check just wouldn't stretch far enough for Decots or Rangers. I sell a 3 lense set, with 1 CARBON frame, 3 lenses, 3 nose pieces, a cleaning cloth bag, and a 5-slot zip up foam case for $90.00. Additional lenses are $22.00 each. You can't beat the price and they don't put dents in your nose or your wallet. The vision correction insert is available from Sved Optics in CA, takes about 10days-2 weeks to get, and costs about $140-$180, depending on whether you get the bifocal option or not.

Jack Young 704 672-9966 Charlotte NC

11. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

I've tried them all, and went back to Decots. The Pillas are the worst with the RX inserts. Heavy, earpieces that are not stout enough to keep the glasses from sliding, and they fog really easily in humid summer weather. And they are horrendously overpriced. To my eyes, which are 20/15, their claim of superior optics is pure marketing bullshit. My Decots do the job just as well at a fraction of the price. Just my personal read on the matter.

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Notquite27: You must be wrong about the Pillas. You don't think all the top
    shooters would be using them just because they're getting paid? When you consider how much they must spend on advertising and sponsorship, there's
    probably not much left to spend on actually making the glasses.

13. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

dickgtax,

How many top, or not so top, trapshooters do you actually see wearing Pilla's? I see a lot of the top sporting and skeet shooters wearing them, usually at no cost to them, but darn few trapshooters. Maybe we are just too conservative to embrace the Darth Vader look :).

14. calldan

calldan Member

I have both Pilla & NYX and my Pilla's are in a drawer. Back to comfortable lightweight NYX.

Good luck with your choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to keep pilla glasses from fogging

sved optics california