1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Glasses/Prescription insert

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Lyndon Shumaker, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyndon Shumaker

Lyndon Shumaker Member

I am thinking of trying a prescription insert for my shooting glasses so I could try more lens colors. I have just used standard prescription Randolph Rangers till now. The insert seems a better way to go. Any comments please????

Thanks
    LS

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Lyndon..

I have no personal experience with the Ranger insert type lenses, however, 2 of my shooting friends tried them and went back to the single lens. I don't know their exact reasons, just know they weren't happy with the product.

Curt

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

When I needed scripts prior to my Lasik, one of my sets of glasses was a Ranger Sporter, the scipt lens was the base lens & I used clip on colors as needed.

Phil Berkowitz

4. tj303

tj303 Member

The draw back to using two lens is weight and fogging.

5. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

I've been using the NYX Sport lenses with an RX insert and am very happy with them. When you first put them on you seem to be able to see the insert, but when you shoot, they can't be seen. I have not had any problems with foggy. These lenses are much smaller than the Rangers so the extra weigh is not noticable. They are also less expensive than the Ranger set.

Tomas

6. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I asked the dealer I have used for years to order some for me. He told me to save my money. Ron

7. OzarkGun

OzarkGun Member

I tried a couple of pairs of the Ranger XLW glasses with the prescription inserts. I could never get used to the weight of the extra frames. I then tried using Oakley M Frames with inserts. I have been very happy with them.

Jack

8. trap_shooter2000

trap_shooter2000 Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

How is the gun doing Lyndon? Shoot well!!!

Aaron Willoughby
    Kolar-Field Rep.

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have Ranger XLWs with prescription insert. I think the concept is good but I'm not convinced that anyone's execution of that concept is ideal. I think part of the equation as to how well they work is the way the individual shooter's face is constructed. To me the bottom line is they can't be as ideal as individual RX lenses but if you don't have a ton of money they can be a good second choice, and you can still sell the set later because the lenses are plano.

I've never noticed any extra weight.

10. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

I do all of Bob Allens Rx lenses for their new line of shooting frames. Same frame as RE's. One of the biggest issues in getting a shooting frame to work well for the customer is PD (pupil distance). The frame is designed to raise the Rx optic center up for looking down a rib. Its the optician and labs responsibility to center the clients PD on the lens. Size of the optic (sweet spot) and periphery vision is also at issue with inserts lenses. If you are not looking through the vary center of the prisms/optic on the lenses you are not looking through your correction. You can prove that to yourself by moving your street glasses around on your face and see how important the optic centers are to clear vision and how big the optic based on your Rx. The stronger the correction, the smaller the sweet spot.

Personally, I refuse to make inserts for my clients. Its that simple. Inserts are only about marketing, not seeing well. Also realize that a plano lens has a sweet spot based on lens base curvature. The more the curve (8base)the smaller the clear spot.

Maltzie
    http://www.cleartargetoptics.com

11. shamlin

shamlin Member

But I offer another issue....if you are as visually challenged as I am (-6/-7)and you get just prescription colored lenses they will end up over 1/2" thick and weigh a ton. I was just thinking of getting the prescription insert because it sounds good in theory. I have Randolph XLW's. What is the best way to go?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

oakley shooting glasses prescription insert reviews

perscription shooting glasses inserts

prescriptions inserts shooting glasses

shooting glasses with prescription inserts