1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting glasses over prescription glasses?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I wear cheap reading glasses I buy at the local pharmacy, but distance vision is fine. My wife has family vision as a fringe. She is afraid her company may drop that soon and persevered for me to get my eyes checked while we are still covered. I figured it was worth it just to check for glaucoma.

Distance vision came out 20/25, same as it was forty years ago when my eyes were last checked. At that time they said to just thank my lucky stars and there was no need for glasses. 20/25 is better than most folks can get with correction.

But I discovered I can get two sets of frames and lenses for free under her plan. Fellow shooters say I should get a pair for shooting as I may find the slightly improved vision a benefit for shooting.

Well, I have to get glasses approved by the plan from the plan's approved vendor. No, I can't order shooting glasses from Decot, Lehman, et. al.

Most of the approved glasses are of the small lens variety popular today, but there is one style that is big enough to serve as shooting glasses, sorta. They aren't safety lenses by a long shot.

So I was thinking of getting a pair of the small frames and lenses, and getting a set of cheaper shooting glasses like I see it catalogs like Cabelas, etc, and wearing them over the prescription glasses.

Does that work?

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I don't think you'll be happy with that arrangement. Among other things, I'd expect something to shift every time you mount the gun.

If you're sure the vendor really can't order outside the plan, why not take what they offer for general use, and buy shooting glasses on your own? If you're a serious shooter, I think dedicated shooting glasses are a must.

3. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

dedicated shooting glasses all the way.....having 2 sets of glasses on your face when shooting will be a PITA to begin with.

I would not substitute regular glasses for shooting glasses either...

your eyesight is valuable, don't go the cheap route.

4. revbook

revbook Member

MTA Tom and sernv99 are both right on the money. I wear glasses and was looking over the top of the lenses when I mounted my gun. Got Decot's and never looked back.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The more lenses you look through the greater chance that there will be distortion caused by lens imperfections or dirt. Dedicated single lens shooting glasses are the only way to go whether you need a corrective lens or not. This probably the most important piece of equipment you can bring to the trap range.

I am in the same boat you are with regards to vision and vision insurance. I use my coverage to buy a good set of reading glasses and a pair or plano sun glasses then spend my own money on shooting glasses. Love my Decot HyWydes and replace lenses regularly for optimum clarity/resolution.

6. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Contact lenses might be the way to go and your wife's plan will cover them for sure. Worked for me. JM

7. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

40 years sense your late eye exam. Thats crazy. I been wearing glass from the age of 7 now I'm 61 and ware contacts. I have no problems and getting and exam no big deal. You only have one set of eyes. So take care of them. I'm not tell you what to do. So don't take me wrong. I just shock.
    We spend more on a couple rounds of trap with shell then going to the eye Dr.
    I agree with the rest Decot are a good choice.

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Contact lens to correct 20/25 vision? Seems like over-kill, and wouldn't I still have to use reading glasses with contacts?

9. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can't see too good if you're a shooter ! my local eye doc said 20/30 was the best he could, Frank Rively got them to 20/20

10. porky

porky TS Member

If you start to wear glasses your eyes will become accustomed to them and over time can lead to poorer vision. My suggestion is to not get the glasses if you really don't need them, regardless of the cost. If they are only improving from 20/25 to 20/20, really, why bother. I can see the eye exams and glaucoma testing. This was the case with me when I was playing a lot of sports. I got the glasses and it lead to the eyes weakening and eventual need for distance glasses. I could have easily done without them, but I felt I needed the sharpness and didn't realize the eventual outcome needing glasses for distance all the time.

11. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

Get a pair of shooting glasses, with all the money you saved over the years............You can't take with you...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

At 20/25, I don't know that you'd notice any additional clarity at 35-45 yards when taking your birds. However, I do know that unless you buy Trivex lenses, any Rx lens in CR39 plastic will not provide the impact resistance or the inherent UV protection you'll get from polycarbonate.

You've got one set of eyeballs. Buy a shooting glasses system with a lens that completely covers the orbit of the eye. This is one piece of shooting gear not to chintz on!

regards,

Jay

13. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

There are several of the companies that sell safety/shooting glasses that make an insert for prescription lens. The insert can be attached to various models of their glasses. When your eyes change, as they inevitably do with age, you can just replace the prescription lens in the insert. You don't need to change the shooting glass itself It's also easy to carry several different shooting glass colors and just pair the prescription lens with the best color for that particular day. I have used a set for several years. Except for the fact that when assembled they are harder to clean, I don't see any downside.

14. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

There are several of the companies that sell safety/shooting glasses that make an insert for prescription lens. The insert can be attached to various models of their glasses. When your eyes change, as they inevitably do with age, you can just replace the prescription lens in the insert. You don't need to change the shooting glass itself It's also easy to carry several different shooting glass colors and just pair the prescription lens with the best color for that particular day. I have used a set for several years. Except for the fact that when assembled they are harder to clean, I don't see any downside.

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I remember talking to Bud Decot and him telling me to avoid glasses as long as I can. He said that vision deteriorates with older people because the muscles controlling focus loose their tone and strength like all older muscles. Wearing glasses gives them less exercise and so they loose tone even quicker.

So, if my vision plan will cover shooting (safety) glasses I'll probably get a pair of prescription shooting lens. I'll wear the prescription lens for shooting only.

But it increasingly looks like my plan won't do that. I which case I'll use the plan to cover two pairs of reading glasses, or one pair of reading glasses and a set of plano sunglasses.

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am going to Walmart's Eye glass center today and taking my Prescription Randolph Ranger Plano Lenses in and see if the will make a set of the darkening Photo Gray lenses for me at their special lens price.

With the lens centers ground the same as my Rx on the Randolph Rangers.

I will post back here my results later today.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Wewll I am back from K-mart glasses center, the girl in charge of the K-Mart eye glass center they could not make the lenses even if I gave them my original lenses to copy, they said they need a specific frame for them to grind from. They said they could not make the lenses,

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I have always thought shooting glasses were a bargain at any price.
    I always ask myself , when shooting did you see the target!!!
    "Properly "

Joe Woods/Ontario

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Are you sure you can't get them from Lehman? He might send them to your local optometrist who might be able to bill the insurance company.

Give him a call.

I use plano lens shooting glasses, and dollar store readers. Had cataract surgery 2 years ago.

You will find having the ability to change colors for conditions is a blessing.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
over glasses shooting glasses
over the glasses shooting glasses
shooting glasses over glasses

shooting glasses over prescription glasses

shooting safety glasses over glasses
shooting safety glasses to go over prescription glasses
wearing shooting glasses over perscription glasses
wearing shooting glasses with prescription glasses