1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Glasses Ideas?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dsb, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsb

dsb Member

I just cant make myself it the pay button on Pilla glasses. Could you give me some more brands.

Thanks Danny

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I use Pavilion brand...thin and lightweight with a perfect shape for my brow and eye orbits. Love the gradient tints to the different color lenses..I use copper/brown most days and the yellow chromatic for extreme overcast or under the lights at night...hit the website link above

3. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

Randolph engineering (RE), decot, Morgan optic, Post 4. Theirs a lot more but that's all I could think of. I use RE rangers and I don't have any complaint about them, I love their color mag lenses on a bright day.

4. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

http://www.sportglasses.com/

DECOT are what I use. You can't hit what you can't see! Other than good eyesight this is more important than any other piece of equipment. It's worth protecting your eyes and ears in this sport and the sooner the better. My 2 cents....Duane

5. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

Danny,

When you compare common brands such as Decot, Ranger, Morgan, Pavillion, et al, to Post 4 I believe you will choose Post 4. Their titanium frames are superior, high def CR-39 lenses, all work done in house by owner who understands shooters needs (both plano and Rx), attention to detail and customer service are tops. I've had all the above mentioned brands and consider Post 4 the best IMHO.
    Lyle

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Pilla brand (formerly HiDefSpex)... offer a very resilient lens material, not to mention the somewhat unique spectrum of HD lens and light transmission lens options. Although a very good product, HD, in and of itself, does not always provide enough target enhancement for me. In selecting a brand, in addition to the color options, I would also consider the vendor.

I can offer an unequivocal recommendation for Wayne Morgan and the Randolph Engineering brand family of eyewear. Speak with Wayne in Olean NY.

The Edge is the more tradition configuration with the XLW as the wrap. In addition to a their new-generation polycarb HD lenses, Randolph offers a good selection of colors to really enhance target color against background...

... a full service optical shop.

regards all,

Jay

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

lots of good choices out there...let your checkbook be your guide ; )

8. Indydrew1

Indydrew1 Member

I called Tom at www.texasshootersoptical.com and described my tricky prescription and some other concerns and he helped me determine which lenses would be best for me...It really helped to hear what a pro had to say. :)

Good Luck.

-Drew

9. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

Check out Mike at L&M Lenses, he advertises here and is a great guy to work with

Scott

10. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

For what it's worth, I tried the Pilla glasses with the RX inserts behind the lenses. Way too heavy, and the part that fits behind the ear is not strong enough to keep them from sliding down your nose. Fogging in hot weather is also a real problem. Also, unless you get the Puma series, there are no blinders that will fit these frames. The tints are great, but the rest of the problems caused me to go back to my old reliable Decots.

11. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

I've used Pilla Panther(post)glasses w/inserts for 3-4 years.I would not go back to Decots or Randolphs.

12. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

Not to hijack ur thread but that post4 deal for 210 bucks seems pretty good to me. frames 3 lenses and a case. i guess you basically encounter 3 shooting conditions, night, sunny, and overcast maybe. just wondering what color lenses you guys prefer to use under those conditions.

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Check the new thread about Pilla, easy choice--NOT

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

hdbrs...

just not the light, but also which target color against what background?

Jay

15. shaggist

shaggist Member

For those of us who don't have multiple hundreds of dollars for shooting glasses, and additional hundreds for the vision correction aspect, I suggest you check into the NYX Vision System.

They offer a very light-weight, multi-lens system, with 21 different colors/shades, and a nifty optical correction insert for those of us who require distance correction. The CARBON frame, which is a 6-base curvature, is the most usable, as it matches the curvature of most male faces. The glasses are held out from the face by the nose piece, eliminating problems with fogging.
    The 3-lens set that I sell here in NC comes with a 5-slot case, choice of 3 lenses, 3 nose pieces, and a cleaning cloth bag for $90.00. Additional lense are available for $22. each. You can read all about them at the website 'www.nyxsports.com'. The lens' material is impact and scratch-resistant polycarbonate for eye protection.

For the costs involved, they are what I would call a 'Best Buy' in shooting glasses. Check them out.
    Jack

16. gotbass

gotbass Member

here is a consumer vote for NYX. Had Post 4, but with a changing prescription they became cost prohibitive. NYX are light weight you will appreciate the variety of shades of lenses available. Mike

17. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Another vote for the NYX glasses. I have been wearing mine for eight years - with the prescription insert. Everything the previous poster says is true.
    The prescription insert is close to your eye, so you don't have the problem of finding the optical center. A small bifocal portion at the bottom of the insert
    never comes into view when you're shooting.
    Lightweight and comfortable to wear. They wrap around your face enough so you don't need blinders.

18. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

I have had great luck with the Randolph Ranger frames and the prescription lenses from Morgan Optical in Olean, New York. Knows what he is talking about and is easy to deal with. Service has been fast and I have been a repeat customer for 11 years.

Gregg

19. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

I shoot against green trees or skyscrapers whether blue or cloudy. would just like a rec for maybe 3 or 4 different lens colors. thanks

20. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

Skys not scrapes. phone'd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.