1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting glases options

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mxrider458, Sep 22, 2013.

1. mxrider458

mxrider458 Member

Looking into buying some new shooting glasses. Wanting opinions on post style lenses or standard nose pad type. I don't wear corrective lenses(yet), so that is not a factor currently. Pros and cons of either style would be helpful. Thanks in advance,

2. Rubicon_Joey

Rubicon_Joey Active Member

For me, I find Oakleys to be a good compromise between something I can wear everyday and something I wear to shoot in. They have tons of lens color options that work for all shooting conditions, tons of frame options, are impact tested (big plus over most "shades" and a must for shooting glasses..see link above), available prescription lenses if needed and look a ton better than any dedicated shooting glasses all for about the same money you pay just the frames of some dedicated shooting glasses.
    The only problem I have found is the ability to make the frames fit your face. You have to choose a frame that fits your face instead of adjusting the frames to fit your face like you would with prescription glasses. However, there are so many options out there (even frame size options for certain styles) surely something fits you well. For me it's the fast jackets. They fit well and lens changes are quick and easy for any lighting or background conditions. This is all just my opinion though (you asked for it), you may find that you don't like Oakleys and would rather have dedicated shooting glasses.

3. X1

X1 Well-Known Member

I personally love my post4 titanium glasses,they are lite and flexible and as strong as it gets but really as long as you go with a quality type frame for shooting you cant really go wrong with Oakleys or Rangers or Decot etc,They are all quality shooting glasses.I guess in your shoes I would look for a package deal that comes with a wide variety of lens colors to experiment with in different shooting environments.

Lucky for you and your billfold that you do not need prescription glasses!

4. mxrider458

mxrider458 Member

Yeah, I'm really familiar with Oakley's, and love them. Been wearing them since 1990. Currently have about 4 pair of M-Frames, pair of Thumps, 2 pair half jackets, and a new pair of fast jacket xl's. I've used them from everyday use, to mountain biking and winter sports. Even had several pair of goggles when racing mx. I could just never find the right combination of lenses to suit me with shooting. I've borrowed a pair of RE XLW's with a few different lenses and like the sight picture I get. Just wondering what others have used or using and how they like them.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Contact Wayne Morgan at Morgan Optical in Olean, NY... a TOP Randolph dealer, great service before and after the sale...

I wear the original Ranger XL with adjustable nose bridge and easy interchangeable lenses...the Ranger Edge is the newer version...

Regardless, you'll never be disappointed...

Jay

6. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

I will second the Rangers! Love them for shooting! Ive had Oakleys, wiley x and the like for shooting I love the Rangers

HT

7. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Decot...no hesitation, no question.
    I've been using their Hy-Wyd frames since I started shooting clay targets in 1980. The ease of changing lenses for differing light or backgrounds makes them by far the best option I've ever seen for our purposes.
    I don't know anything about the other quality options mentioned. Since getting my Decot frames in 1980, I've never needed to look at any other possibilities.

8. Krieghoff100

Krieghoff100 Member

+ 1 on Wayne Morgan!

9. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Morgan Optical Sport Glasses in Olean.

10. jdhog

jdhog Member

DECOT !!! BEEN WEARING THEM FOR SHOOTING FOR many years and they have done me good .
    JDHOG

11. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

ISSF world Championships, 4 out of 6 finalists are wearing Pilla glasses. A Russian, A Maltan, A Chinese, and an American. I have had Pillas two years and love em, haven't needed or looked for any others since. Scott

12. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Alway shot Decot glasses since 1962 never looked else were but just got a set of Pilla glasses in a gun trade and have to say they are excellent offer more wrap around and you cant see out the edges. need to wear them longer befor I am going to make them my go to glasses.

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If you like the wraparounds, Pilla's, expensive. quickly replaceable and inexpensive? Decots or Rangers

14. jmunsell

jmunsell Banned User Banned

Do the decots have a clip on or over the prescription. I won't be able to see the darn thing without my prescription glasses.

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Just get the Decot frames and have prescription lenses made. HMB

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Exactly..

Or,

Randolph does offer a script lense frame that has multiple clip on lenses.

I think its the 'ranger'

17. mxrider458

mxrider458 Member

Thanks for the info guys!! I opted for a pair of XLW's from Randolph like I was trying. I was really thinking of the Pilla's(Puma or Outlaw), but without seeing any or trying any, I just couldn't see the price and not knowing if they were for me or not. RE offered enough lens variations for me, and went with a few different choices that should suit me well. If I see a pair of Pilla's, I'd still like to try them though!!