1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting gets its due at Olympic Games

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Shooting gets its due at Olympic Games (Article)

Shooting gets its due at Olympic Games

By Marc folco - SouthCoast Today

While guns often make the news because they fall into the wrong hands, the Olympics is a perfect example of guns in the right hands, being used for world-wide competion.

Years of practice, training and self-discipline have been on display as American shooters have captured five medals, including two golds, heading into today's final day of shooting competition.

Walton Eller of Texas captured the gold medal and set two Olympic records in the men's double trap and Vincent Hancock, a 19-year-old from Georgia, won the gold in skeet shooting.

Eller, a member of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit (USAMU) who finished 12th at the Sydney Games and 17th in Athens, entered the final round four targets ahead of Italy's Francesco D' Aniello with a qualification score of 145, setting a new Olympic record. The previous Olympic record of 144 was set by Ahmed Almaktoum of the United Arab Emirates at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens.

After missing his first pair in the final, Eller ended up shooting 45 targets and finished with a total score of 190, setting another Olympic record and taking home the gold.

"I was so happy after I won, but I didn't know whether to cry, smile or jump up and down," Eller said, according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation. "After my performances in the last two Olympics, I really wanted to come here and bring home a medal for the U.S. This is definitely one of the greatest moments of my life so far."

Corey Cogdell, a 21-year-old of Alaska brought the U.S. Shooting team its first medal at the Olympics on Tuesday, claiming the bronze after an exciting shoot-off in the women's trap competition.

Cogdell, a product of the Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP) who has only been shooting international trap competitively for a little over two years, entered the final round with a score of 69 out of 75 targets. In the 25-target final, Cogdell shot a 17 and ended the final round in a four-way tie for the bronze medal at 86 targets with Japan's Yukie Nakayama, Diana Gudzineviciute from Lithuania and Elena Struchaeva of Kazakhstan.

Cogdell drew the fourth spot for the shoot-off and after the first three shooters missed their targets, Cogdell chipped a small piece off her target to take third place and claim the bronze.

"I didn't expect to do this well after only shooting competitively for the past two years," Cogdell said. "I wasn't even supposed to get on the Olympic team. My goal was to be on the 2012 Olympic team, so to win a medal at the Olympics at this point in my career is really a dream come true."

Kim Rhode of California added to her personal Olympic medal tally when she captured the silver medal in the women's skeet event. Rhode, who won the gold in women's double trap in 1996 and 2004 as well as the bronze in 2000, also shot in the skeet event at the Sydney and Athens Olympic Games, but switched to skeet shooting full-time after the women's double trap event was taken out of Olympic competition in 2004.

"After double trap was eliminated in 2004, it was a bittersweet win for me," Rhode said. "On one hand I won the gold, but on the other hand I knew the challenge I faced in completely switching to skeet. I couldn't be happier with winning a medal today. Gold, silver or bronze, I don't think it matters. I am just so glad to be back at the Olympics and representing my country."

Rhode claimed her silver medal after an exciting shoot-off through down pours and wind. She went into the final tied for third place at 70 out of 75 targets with three other shooters. After hitting 23 out of 25 targets in the final, Rhode came out tied for first place at 93 targets with Italy's Chiara Cainero and Christine Brinker of Germany. In the sudden death shoot-off, Rhode and Brinker each missed a target on their first pair, while Cainero hit both her targets, giving her the gold medal. Battling for the silver in a second shoot-off, Brinker missed one of her targets and Rhode hit both to claim the silver.

And Matt Emmons, the shooter who had gold in his grasp four years ago, only to shoot at the wrong target with his final shot in the rifle prone comeptition, captured silver in Beijing.

2. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

What kind of regs. do they have on shells, speed, shot size etc.?

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Dave

24 Gm of shot (approx 7/8 oz) not larger than 2.5 mm May be plated or not there is no velocity limit. Oh shot must be round... no flat shot or spreader loads.

TB

4. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

Cogdell's win pretty much validates the often maligned SCTP.

5. smitty43

smitty43 TS Member

So where did you see shooting on the Olympics?
    I couldn't find any channel with it on

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

smitty43...

Where have you been for the last week.... Mars... NBC made available every final of every event at the Olympic games and that included shooting. The mens trap final was shown on MSNBC on Sunday Afternoon 10 August. You also can go to their website and stream any of the past finals. This has been a great year to see shooting on Television. The clay target camera work has been nothing short of fantastic. Wake up because obviously you have been asleep.

Tom

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

There was a web site you could go to which I think was sponsored by MSNBC. You could rewind a whole match and watch it. The only thing I found wrong was the in ability to get a full screen picture instead of just an enlarged screen. You might still be able to get it - do a search.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Just google, NBC Olympics Video

By the way, you can only view the videos if your in the USA. NBC has blocked Canada and other countries from viewing the videos. Unless they have changed there policy in the last few days. I did send in an email.

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Dave P

It appears that the faster the internet connection the better the picture. Got a great picture on my office system but it sucked at home. Difference was the fast connection.

TB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.