1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting from the 27?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lilboss1970, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilboss1970

lilboss1970 Member

When you shoot from the 27 are you supposed to hold a lower aimpoint on the house? I was shooting from the 27 and when I started holding a lower gun I started hitting more targets. Then afterwards someone else said you are supposed to hold a higher holdpoint when you are farther back. So which is it? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

Whichever works best for You

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

No. Hold a somewhat lower gun. Why? because you andyour body are trained to make a defined upward move and if you do not go lower you will pop over hcp targets. If you make the ssaem vertical move distance wise you'll be right int the same groove as at 16 yards

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I hold a lower gun when I shoot from the 27. But, I would not hold myself up as an example of how to shoot from the 27. My last 5-6 scores have been pretty good and I have gotten a couple of punches. I am now feeling fairly confident from the 27. I am set up for a rude awakening.

Pat Ireland

5. Grizzly

Grizzly TS Member

Geeeezzzz Pat,,,,Don't beat yourself up like that. We have been on the back fence so long that the ATA deeded us property back there>..>..>..

Are you shooting any 100 bird calcutta's this fall yet?

Grizzly Adams

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Grizzly- I will be at Middletown for 10 days in about 1 1/2 weeks. I might try losing some money there. I have much, well honed, experience at losing money at shoots.

Pat Ireland

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

You hold lower as you move back.

The angle to the bird reduces as you move back - simple trigonometry.

Don Verna

8. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

I CLOSE MY EYE'S THAT WHY i'M NOW AT 24 YDS.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Each shooter will have thier own 'sweet spot' for starting the gun. My starting points are the same for singles, doubles and HC but I do vary that when the wind is either picking the targets up or pushing them down. If the targets are getting a lot of lift I'll start the gun lower on the house and the opposite for flat birds. I have noticed a few really good shooters that have different starting points for singles, doubles and HC and usually they start a high gun for singles and a much lower gun on HC and doubles. Obviously this is something they have spent some time working on.

Finding what works for you is a trial and error process where you practice various starting points until you find one zone that results in the best breaks. Start this process with an exagerated low hold point and work up.

10. Grizzly

Grizzly TS Member

OK Pat, Hope to see ya there. I am going to try and make the 100 Bird Burt Wells shoot this sunday the 13th also...

Have a good day!!

Grizzly

11. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

Don't listen to anybody...try different techniques and do what works for YOU! Walt

12. motowheelguy

motowheelguy TS Member

From the 27 the sooner you can see the target the better. I hold on the top edge of the house. Your 1st move MUST be the right move, not like in singles where you can make 2-3 wrong moves and still hit the target. You also want to make less of a move to the target. Try differant holds and moves until you find out what gets you the best ave.

Aaron Holguin

13. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I hold a lower gun from the 27 than I do at 16's, also a little wider on 1 and 5. Do what works best for you and don't be afaid to try something new if you have trouble.

14. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I feel more comfortable holding a lower gun at 27 too. I like to shoot them more aggressively and I think the lower hold lets me get some good barrel momentum, requiring less lead. I also hold a lower gun on high targets than I do with a tailwind. I don't want to be going up on a flattening-out target, and conversely, with a high target it's nice to get a little momentum going so I don't shoot under the target.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Take a lesson from one of the pros. You'll cut through years of "trial and error." Worth every penny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.