1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting for Olympic gold "ABC News Video"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Golden Beebe, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

Shooting for Olympic gold

A short video about "Jeff Holguin".

To my surprise, a major news station in California reported "shooting" in a positive manner! Perhaps there is hope here...

Click on the link above or copy and paste here:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/sports&id=6264852

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

This is a great story. I hope that the majority of us log on, watch, and then provide a comment. We should support this news station's effort to reflect our sport in a positive light. Please make a comment and let them know that you are happy that ABC aired it.

Also, IMO it would be great to leave a comment for Jeff and Chris on there, so that they know that we are rooting for Jeff's success.

Go get 'em, Jeff!!!

3. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

Very nice and a fast shooter as well. I wish him all the luck shooting for the USA.

KK

4. The Stive

The Stive Member

Great Stuff!! It is nice to see a piece on the news that is positive about
    shooting. Go for the Gold Jeff. John

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

The USA shooter to watch is Kim Rhode shooting Olympic Skeet this year. She has been training hard and is a sure bet to come home with some "hard ware". Good luck Kim! Fred

6. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

That's nice to see a network TV station in CA cover a story like that.

Did anybody notice the end of his barrels? It looked like the top barrel was shorter than the bottom barrel - or was that just an extended choke in the bottom?

Good luck to Jeff, Kim and all the other great hopefuls out there!

Jen

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Kudos to KABC-TV and to Rob McMillan for airing a positive piece on the shooting sports!!! Congratulations to Jeff!!! His hard work and dedication is paying off.

We are all cheering for your success in 2008, as well as that of your team mates.

Also, it's great to see the involvement of his dad. What a great story!

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Please don't misinterpret the following observation:

I looked Jeff up on the ATA Shooters Info page and found it interesting that in the last five years he averaged 97.28% on 2,450 doubles targets, 91.32% on 3,500 Hcp, and 96.1% on 1,500 singles.

All very enviable percentages for sure, but for some reason I was surprised a bit that they weren't higher as Olympic shooting is reported to be a much more demanding sport compared to ATA.

While the various forms of clay target shooting seem quite similar, the specialization required to rise to the top in any given form is very different indeed. The amount of time expended on training to rise to the top of any form of clay target shooting also plays a significant factor.

I'll be eagerly anticipating his performance during the Olympics--I just hope they televise his events.

Guy Babin

9. steele

steele TS Member

Guy, After shooting with you on Sunday, I'm totally amazed at your grasp of mathmatics!! It was real fun shooting with you, Earl, & Devi.

10. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

M-BLAST,

Yep, I had to give up golf cause I kept calling out FIVE every time I miss hit a ball.

Cypherin' has always been a problem--something about getting kicked out of the third grade fer shaving...

I enjoyed it too my friend, lets do it again soon.

Guy

11. Allen Chubb

Allen Chubb Active Member

Jeff is a first class guy and it's great to see a first class piece of journalism like this appear from an ABC affiliate. Very well done!

Best Regards,

Allen Chubb

12. Old Man

Old Man TS Member

Hi

Does any one know what kind of comb is it on his gun?

Thanks

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Thats the best thing about my buddy Guy...he always lets me win...or so he tells me

14. Old Man

Old Man TS Member

Sorry I have to ask the question again.

Does anyone know what kind of comb is on Mr. Holguin's gun?

Thanks

15. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Guy,

One would think that Olympic style shooters should be able to shoot ATA better but the games they shoot are so much faster that the timing is different. Mike Herman is the most successful cross over shooter of the bunch.

Jeff is a great representative for the U.S. as are the rest of the team. Four of the shotgun team live in Texas. Kim has trained in Kerrville so much over the last year during her run for a fourth straight Olympics that we claim her as well. If you have not had a chance to meet her do so.

I hope they air more of the shooting than they have in the past.

Jack Burch

16. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Thanks for the link and good luck and good shooting to Jeff. It was interesting that he was practicing for Olympic doubles trap on an ATA trap and not a bunker. Anyone know why? Jake

17. tjhroof12

tjhroof12 TS Member

This is a great story and absolutely wonderful that ABC decided to air a positive story on Shooting sports, everything on the news today is always so negative and anti-gun, positive stories like this are far-and-few between.

I grew up shooting with Jeff and his entire family and couldn't have been happier for Jeff and his parents after hearing he made the Olympic team. This has long been a goal of Jeff's and he will finally have the chance to live his Olympic dream.

Best of luck to Jeff and the rest of the US Shooting Olympic team in China. We will all be pulling for you!!

TJ Heller

18. perazziuser

perazziuser Active Member

I just wanted to answer of few of the questions that were asked and thank everyone for wishing me and my teamates luck in the upcoming Olympic Games. We've got a great team and I expect multiple medals out of the 8 of us who are competing in the shotgun events.
    Thanks Beebe for posting the link. It was a nice little piece and the ABC crew was a pleasure to work with. It was taped on Monday at Prado, and yes that was an ATA trap only because the bunkers at Prado are out of commission. Speaking of which I'd like to thank Chad @ Prado for letting me shoot there (they are closed on Mondays).
    Jen - My bottom barrel is choked and I use Briley titanium 4th gen. chokes which extend.
    Old Man - The comb is a stock Perazzi rubber comb.
    Guy - Thanks for looking up my stats, I'm honored! The reason why the numbers are the way they are, like Jack mentioned, is because we don't get a whole lot of time to shoot ATA. There are a couple of years recently when I didn't register any targets, which is a shame because that means I missed out on Kingsburg! Because I shoot Double Trap the only ATA event I'm competitive at anymore is Doubles (398/400 last two CA St). If anyone would like to raise their doubles avg shoot some olympic doubles! Thanks for sticking up for me Jack.
    Thanks again Allen, thanks Terry, thanks TJ (missed you in Kingsburg)
    NBC should put out a schedule for airing the shooting sports during the Olympics. Check out nbcolympics.com
    Double Trap is Aug 12th.
    Thanks again everyone.
    Jeff Holguin

19. usashootingdad

usashootingdad TS Member

Since Jeff is kind of busy we (his mom and I) thought we would take this opportunity to thank all of you for your kind thoughts and support at this critical time. Right now he is at the USA Shooting National Championships at Ft. Carson in Colorado Springs. Double Trap is being shot today and tomorrow(Friday and Saturday). Since making the Olympic Team in March he has been on a media blitz for the USAMU along with his teammate, Glenn Eller of Katy, Texas and the rest of the Army members of the US Olympic Shotgun Team. Every one of these athletes, and the civilian ones as well, have worked for years to get where they are now. They all need your support. As we are speaking on behalf of Jeff, he has spent the last 11 years striving for this goal and now he is an Olympian. Many ATA shooters have contributed to his success by their support and good wishes, although the only ATA shooting he has done in the last 10 yrs has been at the California State Shoot, where he has won the State Title twice in the last 4 years.

To answer a couple of the questions put forth in this thread: Jeff's comb is a Perazzi rubber comb, he has tried others, but this one saves his face! He uses a 2005 Perazzi O/U with 30" barrels (which belong to fellow AMU shooter Todd Graves) the upper barrel is a fixed choke, the bottom a Briley Titanium screw in choke, for ATA Doubles he uses an IC (improved cylinder) and for Bunker he uses a LTM (Light modified).

The reason the news spot was shot at Prado was because the only day available to meet with the media was Monday, and all the shooting ranges are usually closed on Mondays, so since we know Chad Carlson who runs Prado, we contacted him and put this together with only 2 days notice, hence the American Trap field. Our older son, AAron works with Chad at Prado a couple of nites a week. Grandpa Joe also used to work at Prado, as did Jeff before he went to live at the Olympic Training Center in 1997. So Prado is like a second home to the Holguin's.

We hope you are all checking your local listings for the Outdoor Channel for "Inside USA Shooting" on Wednesdays and other shows that are featuring our US Olympic Team Athletes and will be watching all of the different channels that will be showing the Olympic Games beginning on August 8th. Double Trap will be shot on August 12 and China is 15 hours ahead of the west coast of the US.

Our US Olympic Shotgun Team Members are:

Double Trap: Jeff Holguin, Yorba Linda Ca. and 2 time Olympian Glenn Eller, Katy TX (both USAMU)

Trap: Bret Erickson (former USAMU and 2 time Olympian) Muenster TX. and Dominic Grazioli, USAF, San Antonio TX.

Woman: Corey Cogdell, Eagle River Ak.

Skeet: Vincent Hancock, USAMU (current World Champion) and Sean Mclelland, Mission, TX.

Woman: Kimberly Rhode, El Monte, Ca (3 time Olympic Medalist)

We are very, very proud of each and every one of these Olympians and hope that all of you join us in support of these hard working dedicated athletes.

Chris just called me to say that Jeff has answered this thread, did he tell us what he shot today? I'll post this anyway!

Julie and Chris Holguin

20. Mike Richmond

Mike Richmond TS Member

Chris/Julie or Jeff,

How did the guys shoot today. I don't hear much from Josh when he is at the matches. (I wish I was there)

It's great to see Jeff on tv. Sandy and I where at Benning last week to see all the guys. It sure was hot there.

Good luck to all at the Nationals.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.