1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting FLAT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Murphy, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murphy

Murphy Member

I have read that Ithaca Century 1's, shoot flat. I shoot one yesterday in trap, first round I shot my 870 TB and hit 23 from the 16 yard line. On the next round I switched to the Century and only hit 12. I think it was because I had just shot the 870. But what does mean shoots flat and where should I be positioning the barrell on clay, ( on the bird, above the bird, under the bird). Obviously I need to hold this gun differently than 870. HELP!!!!!!

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge "shooting flat" means that the gun shoots where you point. Trap guns are designed to have the natural rise of the bird built in to the trajectory of the shoot string based on the relationship of the stock to the point of aim. Seems everytime I shoot a different gun I need to adjust where I place it on the shoulder in order to break targets. They say that Mod 12's "shoot flat" I break a lot of targets with that gun but I break a lot with my rem 1100 too I just have to old them differently.

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

murphy1,

If the one that you shot shoots as flat as the one that I shot, you need to cover the bird to make it break.

ec90t

4. Murphy

Murphy Member

gmag

A friend had one and I liked the looks so started looking for one at gun shows. My friend saw one in a booth at Vandalia in about 1998 or 99 he bought it for me, paid $550. in excellent condition and I love the looks of the gun but seem to shoot the 870 TB better. Good luck in your search for one.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Typically when someone says shoots flat the general meaning is the core of the pattern is centered around aiming point. As such, you'll have to cover your birds. You really need to pattern for POI to know what you need to do and then practice. If it were me I'd bend it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

flat shooting gun for trap

flat shooting trap guns

flatshootingshotgubn

trap shooting forum flat

trap shotgun shoots flat

what does flat shooting mean

what does it mean when a shotgun shoots flat

what does shooting flat mean