1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting FAST

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tron, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I seem to run into people all of the time (3 this week alone) who will go out of their way to make the comment "You shoot too fast". Well, let me explain:

First, I seem to be one of the only guys at any given shoot that uses an auto. I've found that the "kill zone" of an auto is much closer to the house (in Trap) and has a much smaller window. If I do not hit the target in this "window", it's a good chance that it'll be lost. This, I feel is due to the inherent SLOW locktime of an auto. Sure, we're talking miliseconds here, BUT....that does make a big difference, especially when the targets are consistantly going away from you at a good clip.

I'd like to hear from other auto shooters and what their experiences are on this matter.

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Tron- you are absolutely right, my shooting bud is having a real learning experience going from an NCP Beretta to a new Infinity. He has to wait & wait or he will swing past the target & combined withe Infinity's incredible locktime---lost---with an auto loader all he had to do is jump on the bird.

Lou

3. 682b

682b Member

Shoot them when you are on them. Ride the bird and stop the gun. JIM

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Define fast.

Curt

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I just shoot halffast.

Gne J

6. Express

Express TS Member

I don't think it matters how fast or slow you shoot, but how many you hit.

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

If you are shooting too fast and the person with you tells you and you don't listen, then your target is likely to get away from you.

Read this message twice...

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am not sure if the reasoning is correct but I too shoot an auto (303) and shoot very fast ( at least people tell me that)

9. Tron

I bet that the people who tell you that shoot break open guns. It just seems to be something that THEY notice....so, the slower lock time is something that YOU got used to and "made work".

10. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I shoot fast because the faster I shoot the sooner I see "Smokeballs"

SW

11. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

This has to be a TROLL. You're excuse for shooting fast and a smaller window is at best ridiculous.

12. turmite

turmite Member

I find this thread interesting. One person mentioned a gill net, and I sure hope that isn't the case, so here goes.

Tron you mention that autos are slower and you have to shoot close or quick.
    Why? The reason I ask, is my grandson shoots a 1100 and he waits so long I keep thinking he's never going to pull the trigger. Now admittedly, he is a far distance from your skill level, but I am curious if this is something that needs to be changed in his shooting?

BTW.....if you are hitting the targets, don't worry what anyone else says.

Mike

13. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

One of my shooting partners shoots very fast on nearly all presentations; especially on away i.e. trap style birds in sporting. It’s just his personal rhythm, mine is not as quick. We shoot identical guns and post similar scores.

So I guess attribute it to rhythm.

Seriously, why would a semi-auto necessarily have an inherently slower trigger locktime?

Thanks.

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Tron, I first started shooting trap practice from the 16 and used a skeet choke in a 1100 or 390. It seemed easy to break them shooting quick but you couldn't let them get out very far as they would be out of range for the skeet choke and no. 9's. I had several people comment about shooting to fast but my reply was, "What does that matter as I broke the bird?"

Do what works best for you. I may be wrong(again) but the futher you let the bird go the more open your pattern is, or more holes in it. Jackie B.

15. Tron

Nope, this is a serious thread turmite. Ol' Mr. Charles has been gut hooked a few too many times and he (understandably) looks at any of my threads as if they were a Daredevil....Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Anyway, as for your question about your Grandson, I think it's just something that is going to come with time and experience. Once he knows and instills the proper mechanics of the shooting sports, he will "think less" and just react. If he becomes proficient with an auto (I mean A or AA class) then I would bet that he would appear to be a fast shooter...especially to those who don't use auto's. THE REASON is that the autos lock time is significantly slower than even the slowest break action gun....and you REALLY notice a difference between any autos trigger and the top of the line guns like K,P, DeVault, Bowen...etc.

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

recurvey, I got it and only had to read once :-}

Tron, I hear your to quick at alot of things with shooting only one! Some say your rather quick at finishing on electronic games as well!!!

17. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Joe, Joe, Joe, Look ashamed, you deserve it.

18. Tron

**121,000 the other day Martin, you wuss**

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Speed Kills....... Wait and ride that target, it will turn into a slider, curve, sinker, or knuckel target. Shoot fast, before the wind can defeat you. Trust you ability to make the right move. If you wait for that bead/bird alinement to happen the wind will already be doing it's thing.

20. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

So it was Tron's auto that Tron's wife was talking about. ROFLMAO.

Why don't you guys just jump in the boat and clean yourselves too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shoot too fast

trap shooting fast

trap shooting shoot too fast