1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOOTING ETIQUETTE!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    first of all, i usually do not like to shoot with people i do not know. reason being, you never know what you are going to get on the trap line. within the last few weeks, i have shot rounds of practice, as well as winter events. at one area club i signed up for a practice round, shot with 4 other guys which i did not know. the guy on position #1, ask to see a target, than 2 guys shot at the target????????????????? in 40 years of shooting, i have never seen anyone shoot at this target. a couple weeks later i am on a winter event squad and the shooter on #1 position is in the middle of his shot, and the guy on position 5 is already standing behind him. i hate when people leave position 5 before the puller calls off the scores. a week later, i am on position 4, the guy on 5, instead of turning to his right after the round, moves straight in my direction. if the shooter on 4, moves a little early, you can mash barrels. i spoke to everyone of these guys about shooting etiquette after the round. the 2 shooters who shot at the "lets see a target" said it's a free target, why not shoot at it"? the guy who left early from position 5 said he will remember not to move off 5 early. and the guy on 5 who did not turn to his right, acted like he could care less. maybe i take our sport more serious than most of these guys, but safety is my first concern.
    steve balistreri

2. senior smoke

normally the speaker repositioning is done by left hand shooters. i am left handed, and i try to remember to move it back to where it was after we end shooting at that position.
    steve

3. philk

philk Member

I have had a shooter next to me, that I see out of my periphial vision, shouldering his gun just as I`m calling for a target. Really irritating but I guess it is a leason on how to ignore distractions.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

At an urban range here in L.A., I've seen some downright unsafe things happen on the line which is beyond rude. So...my friends and I are cautious with whom we shoot during practice. This is not the best situation for the sport, might make newbies feel unwelcome. Catch 22 situation at times. That range needs stricter orientation for newbies.

5. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

how about some idiot that sticks his 1100 on his toe, sticks a live shell in it and lets it slam shut while still on his toe. It only took one time and I was scared and walked off the line. I was on the next post. Birdtracker

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Sportshot,

I've shot a lot of sporting clays in the last 5 years, both registered and for fun, and I've never seen a single shooter do what you are refering to.

ss

7. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

short shucker:
    I did see that happen recently at a sporting clays range. I watched a group, I assume friends or relatives, shooting 5 stand. One young buck probably in his late 20's or early 30's, shot at every target any of the other shooters missed. In my opinion, I don't care how good of friends you are, that is at least extremely rude, and at the worst, very arrogant.

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Smoke,Garcia once put out a pamphlet (the size of a magazine) on your etiquette on the trap range. It was a very good and informative book. Someone gave me a copy when I started shooting trap. They asked me to read it before I went to the range. It is a great book to read before you start shooting trap for sure. I still have that bbok and if you would like a copy let me know and I will make one for you. Bulge.

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I agree OldRemFan. Shoot at your targets only. I was remarking to the fact that I had never witnessed that before.

The only time I see shooting at others targets is 10 bird warm-ups at game shoots. Shooters use this to tune in their long range shots. I have no problem with it in that context.

ss

10. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

One thing we have to watch with new shooters at our club is semi-auto shooters closing the action with the barrel still resting on the rubber. I have seen this done with other actions as well but the majority are semi-autos. Once we explain what could be the end result of such an action the problem goes away.

We make a point of spending some time with new shooters so that they know what is expected of them on the line or we send a seasoned shooter with them for a round.

11. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

Hi Steve,

Between you and that friend of yours (the one thats a better shot)
    and the guys you have to shoot with, I kind of feel sorry for you.

I know I could shoot with you and I hope you would shoot with me.

1. The Person on Post #1 calls to SEE A TARGET and nobody shoots it.

2. I am left handed too and sometimes move the voice call and try my best
    to put it back where it was when I moved to that post.

3. No matter what station, the shooter should turn to their right and walk
    to the next post, #5 should turn to his right and walk back of the other shooters to post #1 with o/u open or action open, AND you do not leave your post till #5 person has completed shooting.

Shooters shooting a Semi Auto, Either they have a shell catcher or I will
    not shoot with them. When I squad, I may ask the person doing the squading if
    by chance the know the person to my left(on the squad sign up) if they shoot an Auto. I want to shoot the best I can and do not appreciate empty hulls flying in front of my face. NO SHELL CATCHER, NO SHOOT UM....

THE MOST HORRIBLE TRAP SHOOT I ATTENDED

At a reg. shoot some years back, there was a lady two posts down from me.
    When she called pull, it was a loud squel (I hope I spelled that right)
    Yes, I had ear plugs but you could hear that squel 3 trap houses away.
    When we got done with the event, I walked back to my car twisting the barrel
    of my shotgun with my bare hands as if I was ringing someones neck.

Just my 2 cents worth

Lew

12. senior smoke

EE:
    where you been??? glad to have you back. in answer to your question, i try to shoot with friends if at all possible.
    steve

barrelbulge:
    i would love to see that. pm me and i will discuss it further.
    steve

Lew:
    my most horrible shoot was standing on position #4, on 3 was a woman, on 5 was her husband. as i would mount the gun, she would step in front of the 16 yd line, and he would do the same thing, and they would discuss the reason she was missing targets. after a few times, i asked them to refrain, they didn't. it made for a very long day.
    steve

13. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

""""abbielew

Shooters shooting a Semi Auto, Either they have a shell catcher or I will not shoot with them.""""

abbie,

I shoot an Auto set up so that it will not full cycle, if it happened to, that would mean I had something a lot heavier then a 3" mag loaded!

So my question is are you going to walkoff just because of the look of my gun?

I have had this happen once, he tried to get me to leave the squad, when everyone including the clubs paid help told him he was barking at the wrong tree, he walked, actually stomped off in a huff!

now to me SHOOTING ETIQUETTE, means that we all try to get along until a problem is proven to exist!

Moving the speakers,

my worry is that if it is in the wrong place I will hit with my gun, so if I am comfortable that it is in a good place I generally will not move it, I will when I shoot off of post one take a look at where post five puts his speaker and place the speaker on post one as close I can, before I lead off that trap, that way after shooting post one that is one less thing for that shooter to do after walking from 5 to 1. FOR some shooters that is just part of how they get ready to shoot so even if it is right where they would have put it they have to move it anyway, no sweat as long as it is not after we start shooting that post!

I don't have a squad too shoot all my birds with. So I have to take the luck of the draw, while I try very hard to not do anything stupid or brain dead on the line I have my moments, so I try not have issues with what another shooter does as long as it not unsafe.

Shooting with some of the older guy's esspacially one that has a spanking NEW release trigger can test how relaxed or jumpy you are, shooting with someone that has a LOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGG a&& mount routine can try my patients.

But in the end it all comes down to was I able to be ready for my shot and did we all have fun!

If the answer to either of those is YES, then we probably all had fun, shooting a good score is having my cake and eating it to! Sometimes that happens!

Out shooting the guy that is trying to play head games with me, thats just PRICELESS!

Al Lingham

14. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

Lew,I would hate to know that you would not shoot with me becauseI shoot an auto!GEE,that breaks my heart!I only shoot it on doubles so that would make lots of hulls flying around your punkin.I really like my auto for doubles and only shoot the Perazzi on caps and singles.Did I mention the auto throws my hulls at my feet.Darn,I'm sorry that you feel that way! I guess us old Texas shooters just don't have any manners.We must be un-learned to the rules of trapshooting.Maybe we can get some learning from some of you nice people that don't like to shoot with new people or us folks that happen to like an auto.Please forgive my being pissy but that's just CRAP!!!!!

15. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

Big Az Al,

When I squad up, and I do not know who the person it signed up
    on the post to my left, I ask the squading person if they know.

If I cannot find out, and we get to the trap house to start shooting,
    and I see the person next to me has an auto, I ask them if they have
    a shell catcher. I kindly ask them if they would put one on.
    If that person refuses, I will quietly go an resquad.

I had a shooter with an auto tell me that his empties fell at his feet
    and I bought into it. We got to shooting and his empties did fall at the
    feet, MY FEET.

How can you say you are etiquette if your empties are bouncing off my feet or over my barrel.

Lew

16. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I don't like shooting with anyone that uses purple shells!!!

tony

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Senior Smoke: I once shot with a husband and wife "team" and my friend, a very accomplished AAA/27 shooter. It was cold, drizzly, and the husband and wife were doing their rude coaching and communiation thing. I was on a post between those two characters. ATA shoot. Made my friend so angry that he bore down and ran 100 straight just to spite the bad situation. He was also really on that day. Afterwards, I was shaking like a leaf; felt one of the spouses would run in front of me. They also had some stuck wads; I feared a gun blow up etc. if one of them didn't catch that.

A bad situation, at least, turned out to be entertaining with my friend's winning the singles race that day.

18. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

That is not a free target. It is a target for the whole squad to look at, to be sure the target is going the full yardage and that the height is correct. If some yocal shoots it you have no way of knowing if the target is correct.Sounds like these guys don't know the first thing about etiquette or most important safety.

19. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

The best one I've seen recently was during the summer when a guy shows up to the club and brings his old lady with him and they try to shoot some practice. She was green as grass. KNEW NOTHING! NOT A DAMN THING. No idea about the gun, targets, or anything related to were she was. He was more interested in himself and some bud of his which neither of them were no prize at shooting targets. He showed her nothing and she was left there to fumble on the line to the point of being a safety hazard. A real safety hazard. I couldn't bear to watch it anymore after she shot from a post or two at the most and I had to worked with her for a few squads they shot. I'm by no means an instructor but after a few rounds she was safe and getting clean breaks on some targets. It was an accident waiting to happen and feel strongly enough that it was going to happen. If she shot her old man I could have cared less but if someone were to have gotten shot it would have been me or some other undeserving sole that night.

20. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

With the execption of pratice at "Home Range", I almost wall ways have to squad with strangers, (some more strange than others), but I have had very little big problems. Some movement (I pull my "blinders" farther forward), mounting too quickly (I just unmount my gun, and wait till they unmount, they catch on pretty quick or I doin't shoot). Most of them are open to commentments (without getting too P-----).
    Norman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ata trap shooting etiquette

ata trap shooting etiquette

trap shooting and sign up edequette

trap shooting etiquette

trap shooting etiquette and rules
trap shooting ettiqute
trap shooting rules etiquette
trapshooting etiquette turning from post 5