1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting drills

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimmy Miller, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Miller

Jimmy Miller Member

I wanted to see if I could learn some new shooting drills to pratice in training to improve shooting skills. Lets only list shooting drills which you feel have helped you improve your shooting skill.
    Thank you in advance for your imput.
    Jimmy

2. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello Jimmy,

My best practice drills are with one of our A or AA members standing
    close by. It is difficult to see your own movement & swing to the target.

I try to pick someone to observe what I am doing and for them to make a
    suggestion.

3. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

One of Phil Kiner's drills is to mount the shotgun, close your eyes, call for the bird and open your eyes. Get on track and smoke the bird.

4. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

jmac,
    I'm going to have to try Phil Kiner's drill. Find it, smoke it.

Pat

5. Jimmy Miller

Jimmy Miller Member

hwy
    I have used video in the past works well. I also have the benefit of shooting with Marcellus Osceola frequently who helps with advice.
    j mac
    I will have to try phil's drill.

I have used shooting a piece of broker target, shooting locked traps, no call shooting and speed shooting.

jimmy

6. quartering

quartering Active Member

el presidente

7. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

======Shoot 10 on post one,5 on post three and 10 on post 5. Skip 2 and 4. Also try holding on the off corner then call for the bird....SMOKIT

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

Two Kay Ohye drills I always liked:

1. Stand 5 steps off in the grass to the side of stations 1 and 5 (sort of like shooting stations "zero" and "six.") If you ever had any fear of hard angles, this will take care of it, because it intensifies the angle and yet you'll see that all you have to do is execute the same shot as you do from 1 and 5, and the target will still break (at 16 yards, all you have to do is catch up, touch it on the butt and keep moving).

2. Vary your hold point to several different "wrong" spots on each post, both vertically and horizontally. It will give you different "looks," break up your trance state, and make you work harder picking up and getting on the targets. If you obsess too much about hold points, this will also fix it because you'll see that breaking targets is less about the "right" hold point, and more about seeing the bird and doing what's necessary to get on it. (I sometimes see newbies obsessing about how they "tried some new hold point today and it worked great"...no, it didn't, you were just looking harder because of the change).

9. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Jimmy.

In a practice round dry fire at a couple real targets. When you can do that without making any jerky moves you will be a pretty smooth shooter,

Terry.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy a computer simulator, like the DryFire.

11. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

I would highly suggest buying Terry Jordans wall chart. If you look back at a lot of the posts on this site, you will find a lot of positive information about how Terry's chart has improved most shooters scores. Best money I have ever spent in the sport of trapshooting. It works if you use it! It is no help if you just hang it on the wall.

12. Jimmy Miller

Jimmy Miller Member

I have terry's chart and use it regularly. I also have the dry fire system and train with it daily. I just wanted to share ideas on training with fellow trapnshooters.

13. butcher

butcher Member

Shoot 5 shells from each post but don't move to the next post until you break all five.

14. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

There are also variations of moving back in yardage. Hit and move back a yard. Miss and do it again. You could do 5 per station of whatever it takes to get to 27 at each station.

15. Beni

Beni Member

if you can,buy one of Jordans wall charts,you can practice whatever you like. If you want to live fire practice,when your on post 1 instead of holding off the house on the left corner hold on the right corner. This forces you to keep your gun moving in order to break the target. It also shows your minds eye you do have time to get on the bird and break it. Do the opposite when your on post 5 hold on the right hand corner. Dont change your stance or anything either. Also try riding the bird out,as far as you can and still break it. This will show you what clear and full birds look like. Use your imagination and be safe have fun ..........beni

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
kay ohye corner drills

kay ohye shooting drills

trap shooting practice drills