1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta687EELL, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

1 oz. or 7/8 oz. and they don't have to be high velocity. The object is to reduce recoil. Bill Malcolm

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Shoot the same shell for both shots. Fumbling around trying to get the 'right' shell in the correct tube won't help your scores a bit.

1 Oz #8 @ 1,200 FpS will smoke both birds nicely. If you aren't breaking the targets it won't be because of the ammo.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I use a light 1 oz load for my first shot and the same load I use for singles for the second shot. As Wolfram stated, this can sometimes result in a little confusion. I have gotten my first and second shot loads mixed up and I did not notice much difference. But, I will continue to use a lighter load for the first shot because, many years ago Frank Little told me to do so.

Pat Ireland

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I admit it, I'm a shell switcher when it comes to doubles. I shoot a light 1oz. 81/2 load for the first shot, but use a full 3dr. 71/2 for the second shot. Does it really make a difference? For me, the answer is a resounding YES. I notice, immediately, the difference in my scores if I try to shoot light loads for both shots, be it a load of 81/2's or a load of 8's. I just plain shoot better doubles with a light first shot and a heavy second shot. I'm much more confident in that second shot with 71/2's, and that is probably the reason my scores are better with them.. Just my experience.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Give yourself every advantage at first. Experiment later. If you don't reload, buy different color shells for the different shots. If you do reload, use a red AA(old style) for your first shot and the silver AA(old style) for the second or a green STS for the first and a gold N27 for the second. What makes doubles really fun are good scores. Good luck.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pull bang bang, do it as fast as you can. HMB

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

1 oz. 8's.....and if you can get Federal Gold medal 1 oz. 8 1/2's....that's even better!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.