1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Shooting doubles is a hoot; but dealing with the shells, for me, is a nightmare. I bought two of the web belt thingeys with the belt clip, thinking they would be great....not! Never mind that bending over or sitting down at the ready ends up with a shell avalanche. Also, I'd like to keep my hulls because it ends up in throwing away $4 worth of empties per round. Fumbling with getting the shells to the gun and stowing the spent hulls, takes too much time, especially on a short squad.

Any thoughts about what the best/greatest doubles shell holder/pouch might be? Especially in hot weather when I'd prefer to go without a shooting vest. Of course, that it should be nice looking and insanely expensive, is a given.

Thanks in advance....all the best....mike

2. fishguts

fishguts Member

Mike, there should be no fumbling, rushing, dropping your gun..etc. even on a short squad. If you have a double pouch bag on your side and an empty hull bag there is plenty of time to load, shoot, unload and reload. Sounds like you need to establish a nice pace and routine for yourself.

On a short squad don't deviate from your routine, don't try to speed up.

Also, for doubles, I use shells that I don't mind letting fly. That takes out a lot of fumbling.

Wayne

3. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

I thought I was the only one with that problem. Fortunately, the guys I shoot with give me plenty of time when I too fumble for shells, especially on a short squad.

4. 3357

3357 Member

I believe this is one of the main reasons federal loads the top gun shell. Focus on the shooting and let the empties fly.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I use two leather shell pouches on my belt. I also use a different load for the first and second bird. With my squad it is a struggle to keep the gun loaded. When I get the shells mixed up and in the wrong barrel, it does not seem to make much difference. It seems as if the next person does not shoot while chips from the previous pair are not in the air, he is slowing down the squad. I try to call for my pair before the scorer can announce the results of the previous pair. Doubles are great fun.

Pat Ireland

6. Border Bandit

I forgot to mention, like Pat and some other friends who have offered help, that I use two different loads as well. Liking to keep the rhythm the squad leader sets; but in the end, suppose, it's me who's paying for the targets and need to set my own pace, within reason, of course.

I see a nice looking two-pouch belt from Browning, the claymaster, which has a zippered rear pouch, at Mosquito Creek's on line store. I'm wondering, though, about having the shell boxes, one on each side, one right & one left. Anyone use this belt, and is one box on each side an encumbrance?

Also, there was a fellow at the Cardinal that had a great looking leather pouch which was divided into two sections of generous sized pockets that two boxes of shells easily dropped into. That one links nice, but I can't find one on-line. Like I mentioned earlier, outrageous expense is always a plus.

Thanks again.....mike

7. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Mike, I have used the Browning belted shellholder for three years with great success. It comes with two shell pouches and one mesh rear-bagger. I set aside one of the shell pouches and use only one. With a little maneuvering, I can reliably get two boxes of shells (in the box) in one pouch. I consider this to be a great doubles rig...and at about $25, its reasonable and durable. I did replace the nylon belt with a leather one, though...personal preference.

WNCRob

8. Border Bandit

Thanks Rob...that's the one they have at Mosquito Creek, and it looks very nice. Like you, if I add a nicely tooled leather belt, I can get the price up to a respectable level. (grin)

Thanks again....mike

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Mike,

I use the same shell for both shots (2 3/4 dram light target) to keep things simple and give me one less thing to fuss over or worry about. My little pea brain is easily distracted and I do not need to be thinking about having the right shell in the right barrel.

I use factory shells in State shoots or the Grand with a Brunson two box holder and a mesh bag as I save the hulls. I have spilled shells occasionally and have decided to add an elastic strap with Velcro over the top of the boxes.

Don Verna

10. JRW

JRW Member

I bought a Lonesome Charlies doubles pouch holds 2 boxes side by side with mesh bag between them.I use 2 different loads for 1st and 2nd shot, so I load them in different colors. I like others try to load well used shells and let them fly. Jerry in MI.

11. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Double pouches and mesh empty bags are availible at wally mart Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.