1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bigeoj, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

When shooting doubles is it best to have the POI of the under barrel,the first shot, flatter than the second shot or over barrel? Thanks, Joe

2. Shawn

Shawn Member

Joe
    A lot of good doubles shooters like the POI to be similiar for both barrels.

But If the bottom barrel (1st Shot) shoots a bit higher that will work fine also.

Shawn

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The usual mantra is: first shot from the lower barrel and a little high since it's a fast rising bird. The upper barrel handles the 2nd shot which generally tends to shoot more flat since most folks are slow enough to shoot the 2nd bird while flat or even falling. If you shoot like Kay Ohye and other experts, both barrels shooting high works. Just a rule of thumb wherever I listened to the crowd.....breakemall

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Most people miss the second bird. That is the one to get sighted in for. If you trap the first bird you can set your gun up for the second bird. HMB

5. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

hmb, What do you mean "trap the first bird"? Thanks, Joe

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

in doubles, most of the time, there is very little variation to where the birds go. By chosing a spot in the background for reference of the bird before just went you can position your gun to where you have very little movement to break the first bird. I have found for myself that if I position my gun just outside the first bird area and make a swing towards my second bird, and break the 1st bird on the way to my secong bird. Also a little thing that helps me,if I am constantly shooting over the second bird I can bring my forearm hand back closer to the receiver, this makes the front of the gun heavier and harder to shoot over the second bird, likewise if I am low on the second bird I move towards the front of the gun which lightens it's movement and makes coming up into the bird a little easier. Practice! Visulize and Practice! Almost forgot ! most important is to stay in the gun!

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Joe, Trapping the bird means breaking the target before it gets above your barrel. This is done by holding your gun above the trap house on the flight line of the target. You look under your gun at the front of the trap house, call for the bird, when you see the bird come out of the house you pull the trigger. No gun movement, everything is hold point and timing. This method allows you to get on the second target very quickly and allows you to have your gun sighted in for center hits on the second bird. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.