1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I've had a chance to try out the method MIA mentioned, only got to shoot a couple of rounds but I believe this is going to work for me. It will take a lot more practice but it's very promising.

I have something that will probably be controversial to say about the first shot in doubles. I want to make it clear that this is something that happened in the past and has nothing to do with the method MIA told about. I've been wanting to bring it up and this seems like as good a time as any.

Everyone talks about using a real light load on the first shot, I've always done that, sometimes reloading some very very light loads and sure enough the gun stayed put and all that. One day I didn't realize they were shooting doubles at my range and all I had was my 3dram long handicap 1 1\8 butt kickers with me. Having to use them for the first shot actually made it easier to get to the second bird!! With the light first shot the gun was just dead and I had to force it towards the second bird, with the hot loads it was on the way by itself I just had to steer it. I also think that shooting the same load for both birds seemed to bring on some consistency. Now I shoot what I'd call a medium load for both birds and never worry if I have the right shell in the right hole. I welcome your observations and comments.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know about the value of a heavier load getting the gun moving to the second target - on my set up the recoil effect is pretty much straight back and zero muzzle flip (porting effect). But I do know there is a huge advantage to keeping the gun moving right through the first shot.

I shoot the same ammo for both shots and never once have I thought I didn't have enough shell for that second bird. My favorite doubles load is the 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 Oz #8 and mostly I use Estate or Federal Top Gun. If I am using my handloads then I will run 1 Oz of #8 at about 1,200 FpS for both shots.

But getting back to the fluid gun thing and the effect of recoil, one thing that Phil Kiner shared with me was the importance of gripping the gun firmly like the amount of force you would put into a real man's handshake, this translates in to very positive control on the gun and you also find yourself swinging the gun faster and with more precision as a result. Letting recoil take your gun for a ride isn't going to help you much in the doubles game.

3. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

2 3/4 dram, 1 oz, #8's @ 1210 FPS for the first shot and 3 dram, 1 1/8oz, 7.5's @ 1200 FPS for the second shot. Works just fine and boils targets if I do my part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.