1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting doubles with a semi...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fly, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fly

fly Active Member

i shot my auto the other night and the hulls fell about halfway between each station on the grass. If someone would complain about that they should try another shooting sport. I agree if they are hitting the person next to you that would be out of line.

2. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Find out just what section he is referring to and read it. I have shot auto's and shoot with people who use them and it has never been a problem, with the exceptions of those people who are using hunting guns which seem to kick a shell a lot further than a target gun. If the shell doesn't hit him or land on his station then you should tell him to find another squad.

Take it out an try it and if it lands in front of the stations it should not be a problem.

If he claims "disrupting the harmony of the shoot" then tell him he is doing the same thing.

Good luck.

3. rustygun

rustygun Member

I have NEVER heard of a shooter setting up an auto to intentionally eject to hit another shooters gun. I think you are out to prove you are an ASS.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    First, you have to understand that there are some trapshooters who are, quite simply, jackasses. He sure sounds like one of them.

Second, you should test your 1187 to see if it will consistently put empties in front of you and not towards the next shooter. Test it. If it does fling them out sideways, then look into getting a "knockdown pin" installed in the barrel extension, like 1187 trap barrels have. This is merely a small stud that helps deflect the empty downwards.

BTW, my son's 1100 20ga is a very nasty shell flinger. I haven't had a stud installed in it yet. So he shoots to my left, because being beaned by shells does not bother me. But some people get really upset by this, though there is no need for them to act like a jackass.

5. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Get a shell deflector please...I shot next to an auto right after I bought my brand new BT-100 SS with a beautiful stock...Not even directly next to but one station down....A kid was shooting his brand new Stoeger Auto when a shell comes flying in my direction and hits my brand new BT right in the top of the stock before I even got to shoot! Needless to say I was pissed but the kid didn't know any better and his dad was oblivious to what happened!

I hate shooting next to auto's when their owners do not use shell catchers or deflectors...

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about shells flying. I would worry about sloppy reloaders. People who use hulls that should have been trashed long ago. People who use hulls with base wads. There is no second chance to examine a blockage in the barrel of an auto-loader. I don't want to be adjacent to one that blows up. Be safe use good ammo only if your shooting doubles with any auto loader.

Phil Berkowitz

7. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

"I do have a Perazzi combo, and don't need to shoot it" Your kidding me right? Your either fishing or trying to pound sand up this guys ace. Either way your a dope if you think you can do better with that 26" Auto...........

GS

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

the 1187/1100 can be equipped with a deflector stud end of problem

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've met many older shooters who have a rack of shotguns that would put mine to shame.. They shoot an auto just to stay in the game..and do quite well with them.. a shell deflector is the answer.. For singles.. a simple rubber band will do the trick just fine..

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ha ha ... Midlake is one of Brian's people!

11. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I have a PFS on my perazzi, and maybe it's not perfect for doubles. I don't want to screw with it between events. On the other hand... if my 11-87 works great on sporties, why not try it on doubles. I'll probably shoot some practice and see where the empties land. I don't need a shell catcher (rubber band, or plate) as I'd like to use it for doubles. Is the "stud" a factory part of the bbl.? And can you get a "deflector" as was mentioned somewhere? My earlier remark about "hitting someone in the head (or stock) was in jest, I was more interested in how distracting and occasional bump in the lower leg would be. Thanks.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

A small pin, a drop of solder or even a dab of JB Weld will make a fine deflector.

Pat Ireland

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

question?...............if you have a "knock-down" pin (deflector) installed on your 1100 or 11/87 how does that effect function of the T&S shell catcher that you might wanna' use while shooting singles & handicap?

John C. Saubak

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Old Cowboy. It doesn't effect the shell catcher at all, on mine.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I used to shoot an 1100 for everything. It had a deflector that knocked most of the hulls down just right of my feet on the ground. It didn't always work like that though. I hit people's feet, ankles legs, torso and head. I hit folks guns and almost everybody were very nice about it. Of course, when I hit a man's custom stock that he had just picked up from Bishop's and paid to have the ding fixed and the stock refinished I had to start thinking about getting an OU.

Then the thing finally got to where it wouldn't cycle anymore. I bought a new receiver for it and tuned it to throw the empties like the old receiver did. I didn't have to worry much anymore about hitting someone or their gun anymore - I never got it to work good enough for doubles again.

I bought an OU and that was that. If you're going to get serious about doubles and you are shooting in tournaments, an autoloader is not a good choice for doubles. Too much trouble.

16. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Pat Ireland...If you get to read this...where would that "pin, or build up material" go. I would have no problem drilling and threading a hole in the barrell extension, and putting a long enough set screw in place to "train it" to deflect the empties in a good direction.

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I install about 60 deflectors a year on Remington and Beretta autos. It's important to note that all brands of shells deflect differently, so often times a deflector must be tuned to that brand of shell that the shooter plans on using the most. I've found Berettas to be a bit more fussy about this aspect.

The location of the deflector is key and in a totally different location from Remington to Beretta. Solder and JB weld wear right off in no time flat. They can easily be used in conjunction with shell catcher, not a problem.

Jb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.